How to block Low Kicks??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shin block sounds pretty good...I might try that. Amen to shin guards!!

Alternately, you can try dodging. That way your partner/opponent is off balance when they set their foot down, and you can come in for the attack.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

We always use shin blocks. You get used to it but it never really stops hurting. Just get tough enough that when you're outside dojo, your shins are tougher than the opponents. I've seen a streetfight end with the block. A thug begun his attack with a roundhouse kick and the defender blocked it shin-to-shin. The attacker fell to ground in so much pain, he was unable to get up for a long while.

I tend to use shin blocks. Especially because all of my sparring partners are shorter than me. I personally think that if you were to try to use your hands at all to stop low kicks you'll just get punched in the face.

For you Muay Thai people, other than being tougher is there anything that is particularly unique about your shin-blocking style as compared to other styles? Curious...

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."