• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning how to fight

speaking of surprise i just wanted to say i think ive given up trying to "surprise" my instructor... whenever i try something fancy i get punished i do every correct in kumite agasint him but its like the matrix hes really fast(but not fast just really good technique), i dunno how to get in, any tips would help...

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends no what sort of style your isntructor takes with sparring....are you talkign full contact, semi, or light? Point sparring?

light or semi, just to get a technique in on the opponents body, we dont count points as its just every once in awhile when everyone else has left the dojo.

William Penn

Ah right..... try and draw him into a pattern..... if you're not that much of an advanced sparer compared to him, he may not recognize its on purpose..... then use the pattern to an advantage.

Or - practice sparring in a mirror and / or video tape it, and look for thigns that might be telegraphing your moves [shoulder movements, maybe pulling a certain face] then work on takign these out.

Yea he pointed out that to me that I do have certain habits, I find its good to keep kicking and jabing randomly and acuratly at them.

William Penn

• 5 weeks later...

If you want to get better at fighting- stand up- this is the trick. KISS. Keep it simple (stupid). Ever seen a boxer in the ring do fancy stuff? NO! Why? The other guy would knock him out. Sparring is the key to building your skills, it shows you what works, what doesn't, gives you actual fighting experience, and is the culmination of the skills you've been building up to that point. Apparently the flashy stuff makes you lose (no surprise there), so you already know what to do, don't you?

• 4 weeks later...

lay off the kicks if they're screwing you up so much, practice more on drawing the opponent in with his on attack and control him with your lateral movements and that type of thing, then once you learn how to do this you can make your opponent do whatever you want him to do and be able to have the better shots

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."