Learning how to fight

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I would say high kicks are risky, and I don't know about else where, but in Texas, as soon as your foot contacts someones head, its assualt with a deadly weapon. The highest kick I have ever used in a real life situation was to the sternum area. Often in a fight low powerful kicks will make your opponent keep more distance and gaurd down low, plus they have a lower likelyhood of getting your foot grabbed or opening up your groin to an attack.

Even though Iam in shotokan or at least in my school we dont practice fancy high kicks, but i tried one anyway on my instructor...I was facing the other direction, back open, in the air and was front thrusted across the dojo. Maybe this is beacuse I dont practice them that I was kicked...

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

hmm... never thought of it like that, I always thought high kicks were just a waste of time all together. Would you guys ever use a high kick to the face in a real conflict?
Sure, it gives me a three-point solid base. But then, the stuff I study is odd.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Kicks can be some of the most devestating weapons in your arsenal, if your quick enough, and he leaves his head open, i mean really open. Shoot a roundhouse to his head. Still very risky, very very risky. But im sure if u land it he wont want anything more :-D

~ You first mistake is to underestimate ~

I received a high kick to the face while sparring with a black belt when I was still orange belt. Thats how he ended the fight :P

so, I say they are pretty effective, but you gotta know how to use it

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

One of the people at my muay thai gym once tried to use a high kick and actually hit me in the chest, i think hes in TKD also but there are people who can make that kick work. Also at the same place I faught a guy who was in BJJ but i didn't know he was also TKD and he snuck a high kick on me while i expected him to try get to the ground.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

exactly - they can work inteh right situation - its worht having them in ur "arsenal" of moves.... but nto a necessity like many other moves.... it can be agood surprise though.