• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning how to fight

I'm with everyone else, just slow down and don't use the flashy material. It looks bad anyway, when doing a spinning jump kick, to have your partner just push you while in the air. I've seen it lol.

Ive seen that in movies,if I saw that in person I think I would die of laughter.

Anywhos..you should think beyond flashy kicks and looking good.

Who cares if you get hit and bleed? who cares if your face is bruised?

Id rather look funky as hell and win rather than look good and lose.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off it doesn't sound like you have a handle on the basics if your not doing well in sparring. The first thing you should be learning is how to defend. Good technique=working technique. It doesn't matter how good something looks if it isn't effective no matter what some Karate Master says. Work on keeping you hands up and keeping the other guy from scoring. Learn basic punches first and really drill them good. Then move on to kicks once you can handle your hands and score with them.

Peace and may God be with you...

Deus Ex Remake

Keep drilling your basic techniques and try them out with a partner (pref. a higher grade than you). The more you practice the 'simple' 'basic' stuff the more it will come natural to you and you will be less tempted to go for the flash.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Flashy kicks NEVER works , not in a competition , or a real situation

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

what do you define as flashy - I use head kicks in ring fights. My friend is a black belt in tkd and I've seen him land a jump spinning back kick in a street fight. ANYTHING can work - if you can make it work. I personally can't make a jump spinning kick work in a fight, but apparently, he could.

Yeah, I've seen some 'flashy' things work when one of my sifus does them, even in point sparring. Jumping spinning crescent kicks, even a kick I don't know a name for, but recognize from a monkey form he does. Pretty insane, the aerial kicks he can pull off.

36 styles of danger

Learning how to be effective in combat is important, but don't forget that forms and basics still need alot of practice, they're your foundation and with out them you cannot be the best fighter you can be...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant