• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning how to fight

i agree with what everyone has already suggested to you. It is important to decide what application is important for you to be good at. Kata? Kumite? Street fighting? These apps are all different and require different skill sets, and require different types of training.

IMHO, trophies and such dont matter to much to me. I'm too old for all that. :) I am only concerned with how I would fare in a genuine altercation on the street. Hence my training reflects that priority for that application.

Success in genuine reality fighting (not MMA/UFC stuff) requires us to train to fight dirty, to be aggressive, and to be prepared to remove ourselves from the situation when the opportunity presents itself. Lose any ego we may have and get the job done.

Saying someone trains in "martial arts" doesnt indicate which martial arts "application" that person is training for. Martial Arts has such depth and encompasses so many areas of training. Select YOUR area of priority and train accordingly.

wanna kick butt on the streets? Lose the fancy stuff for now and keep it simple & savage.

Good luck!

In today's world there are people who will try to victimize you or a loved one. No reality check is as frightening nor as powerful as when one becomes a victim of criminal violence. At this point it isn't about winning or losing - it's about surviving. Train to survive. Modern Defendo - CQB.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heheh, thanks!

keep it simple & savage = K.I.S.S.

(of course there are several versions of this, like Keep It Simple Stupid, Keep It Strictly Simple, etc... but this is the one we use @ Wolfes more often over the others).

be safe,

CQB

In today's world there are people who will try to victimize you or a loved one. No reality check is as frightening nor as powerful as when one becomes a victim of criminal violence. At this point it isn't about winning or losing - it's about surviving. Train to survive. Modern Defendo - CQB.

K.I.S.S.... That's gotta be someones sig.

Off topic but, MuayThaiBoxer... I think you misspelled taekwondo in your "styles".

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

• 1 month later...

Flashy stuff is not good anywhere not in a tournament, or in a street fight, I do Taekwondo so there is a lot of kicks, but my instructor teaches us to kick high for a reason, he says if you can kick high with a lot of power to the head, then you can double that foot power when you do it lower like the chest, abdomen etc..

"Who Dares, Wins"

hmm... never thought of it like that, I always thought high kicks were just a waste of time all together. Would you guys ever use a high kick to the face in a real conflict?

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

depends.... probably not to be honest....

just remember dont dismiss a moev just because it seems impractical - try and work out what you get from doing it other than the technique.