• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning how to fight

I practice Karate (Isshinryu) and am a little unsure about many things. I've pretty much mastered the basics (punching, kicking, blocking, etc), but I'm not entirely sure if I can fight yet. I'm totally stellar at kata, but when it comes to kumite, I have this annoying habit of trying to be flashy--especially with kicks--and I lose most of the time. Does anyone have any tips?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mastered? how long have you been training?

as far as fighting goes, slow down. From the sounds of it, you are not really ready for it yet - not at full speed, anyway. drill your techniques more with a partner and also spar slowly. by sparring with speed at this point, the only thing you are doing is creating bad habits.

as an experienced fighter the best advice any one can give or recieve is "devolop a strong yakazukie"(punch with back hand)(sorry about spellin) it opens up the whole body of your opent and create opertunites for higher scoring techniques (i.e mowashageri to head, sweeping, step in punch etc)

if you wish to chat further catch me on thechosen17@hotmail.com

Mark

TRAIN HARD, LIVE HARDER

FIGHT HARDEST OF ALL.

Best to keep it simple in the beginning . In my opinion it is far better to have a few simple techniques that you drill with partner over and over until proficient enough to be useful in a sparring situation than a whole bunch of fancy stuff . There is a big difference in being able to throw a technique into the air and executing an effective technique against a partner . Practice , dilegence and perserverence will be a part of your trainning for as long as you study . :) Keep at it and good luck :)

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.

Think simple, if your actually in a situation where you have to protect yourself, be spontanious and don't plan what your opponent or you yourself are going to do, that will lead to disaster. Thats all the advice I can really give you at this point...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

I'm with everyone else, just slow down and don't use the flashy material. It looks bad anyway, when doing a spinning jump kick, to have your partner just push you while in the air. I've seen it lol.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.