• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ultimate Black Belt Test

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I guess the big question is:

You become a black belt in.... what?

The price was said to be dropped to @$270 from $400 a month- thats a hell of a price to pay.

There is also an initial deposit of $500, which I have no idea what its purpose is.

It does require active training in Boxing/ Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Escrima/Kali, and has heavy emphasis on sparring (3 2 minute rounds a day for 2 years). The BJJ teachers listed in their curriculum are phenominal ones at that.

Doesnt look too bad, provided you have the money. I feel paying upwards of $300 a month is quite extreme (some of the most expensive BJJ gyms arent even that high) but better to pay $300 a month and actually learn how to fight than to spend $50 a month and have a false sense of confidence with no practical fighting skill evident.

Also, how is the testing/grading done? Is it all using the honor code, assuming that no one is exaggerating in their journal? Do you have to go to a central location to test in front of a panel, or do you send in a tape or...?

I guess if someone went through all of this, they would be a well versed fighter/Martial Artist.

You have no idea what an honor it is to train with Tom Callos and the West Coast Martial Arts Association! The UBBT is a personal challenge that goes far beyond the physical and the prize is being able to complete it and transform yourself...not a new rank! The cost....miniscule compared to what you get by far. Well worth the cash my friends!!! I suggest you explore the site completely and check out all the links...you might become inspired!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Cool :)

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

thank you ninjanurse. I would assume by the remarks here that not too many of you know who Tom Callos is and what he does.

This isn't merely a test with an emphasis on a belt. This is an entirely new concept in motivation and self transformation.

I am highly impressed with the program and would participate if it were at all possible. Once my life is a bit more stable, I might do just that.

It all boils down to one thing: where there's a will, there's a way.

I think this sums it all up:

http://www.ultimateblackbelttest.com/images/broadside_image_small.gif

Just reading that makes me want to be part of it. We need more programs like this, so the general public sees us as more than just chop-sake idiots with a flair for breaking boards. We shoudl be viewed as competent business persons with a passion for turning out citizens with the utmost standards.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Just reading that makes me want to be part of it.

To be honest, does this not represent the sentiment of any martial artist? That is, the 'creed' outlined on this certificate seems to be nothing more than my personal goal (without handing over any money).

We need more programs like this, so the general public sees us as more than just chop-sake idiots with a flair for breaking boards.

That I do agree with... ...in part. I believe that this 'system', that appears to be neither new nor improved, should simply become the 'standard' approach of any martial artist. Every instructor running a Dojo can help change the image of the Arts by simply being the best that they can be and doing all that they can to help their students do the same.

In the same way that 'McDojos' sell the arts (and the grades that go with it), this is just another way to 'sell the arts'. To suggest that cross training, intensive physical exercise and a good degree of 'mat time' (sparring and jiu jitsu) is a 'new and wonderful way to approach martial arts' is well... ...insulting... ...to those of us that do it every day.

:-?

-V-

More than 200 pictures of Kyokushin technique.

Kata outlined step by step.

https://www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)

Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)

Of course it is every martial artists goal! But the UBBT is much more than that and I think if you knew the people involved in this you may change your sentiments. It is not a money making way to sell the arts...those that take the test are already sold on that aspect. It is a much more personal challenge...deep down into your core. Of course, just like any other martial arts program, there are those that scoff and doubt, that's par for the course in the martial arts world. For me, having trained under Mr. Callos for many years, I know where his heart is, I know what his personal expectations are, I knw what he expects of his students, and I know what that what they are "paying" for is PRICELESS!

One of the many things I learned from Mr. Callos is "It's all about the details". The UBBT is definitely that! He wouldn't have it any other way!

8)

Mr. Mike....you and me...UBBT 2006...deal?

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/