• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pressure Points and Karate

mary_jane

Two Points

1. Most Karate styles use Pressure Points , But reserve the teachings for nidan and above. It is the why behind the most effective techniques, often styles geared towards tournaments will not focus on this since point accunmulation is the goal NOT SEVERE DAMAGE.

2. Dillman is not the most accurate source for this information too much focus on " palor tricks " like Light touch KO and No touch KO. Oyata/Odo based Ryukyu Kempo will give you much better applications for this information. IMHO.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can say what you want about George Dillman, when it comes to opening the eyes of the western world to kyusho and tuite, he’s the one.

I agree that he is a showman, gets off track easy and probably is greedy, and I wouldn’t want him for my sensei, but he open my eyes to a whole new way of looking at kata. We have found some amazing applications that follow kata exactly.

Thanks George

No that was Sieyu Oyata and his students like Jim logue and Al Giraldi. Kyusho and Tuite are NOT Dillman creations as many claim.

I would say pressure points are not just about pain compliance. It is also about stealing balance, breathing and energy from the opponent (no, I don't mean some cheesy kung fu movie type energy...).

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Nerves do more then just transmit pain. As a result pressure points offer more then just pain compliance. However, different drugs do affect nerve reactions differently depending on the drug. This is something you have to take into account.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

No that was Sieyu Oyata and his students like Jim logue and Al Giraldi. Kyusho and Tuite are NOT Dillman creations as many claim

I didn't say that Dillman was the creator of kyusho and tuite, just the one who open our eyes to it. The creators or should I say the original discoverers have been gone for probable hundreds of years

More Practice

They were ment as blanket statements, taht is why it says ' as many claim " not directed at you.

However I feel that one reason for the way Dillman is viewed comes from how this information is provided before the student has the skill to use it. Seminars selling information that was taught to higher ranked students often starting at Shodan or higher. Now there are Kids, white belts and even untrained seminar attendees that are told that the few techniques they are shown will work when a REAL confrontation happens ....... 99% of them will be hurt bad. The alignment of breath, stance, correct movement and body alignment is so important that unless the years of training are in place these techniques will fail. IMHO

Sauzin and Shorin Ryuu,

Thank you for your corrections. I'll have to rework a better definition. Either way, the first definition offered was far too narrow.

domo

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

They were ment as blanket statements, taht is why it says ' as many claim " not directed at you.

However I feel that one reason for the way Dillman is viewed comes from how this information is provided before the student has the skill to use it. Seminars selling information that was taught to higher ranked students often starting at Shodan or higher. Now there are Kids, white belts and even untrained seminar attendees that are told that the few techniques they are shown will work when a REAL confrontation happens ....... 99% of them will be hurt bad. The alignment of breath, stance, correct movement and body alignment is so important that unless the years of training are in place these techniques will fail. IMHO

good post !

never give up !