• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hemming A Gi

mattys

I have a Shureido middle weight gi, and instead of doing the smart thing and buying it directly from Shureido and having it custom fit, I just ordered it from a distributor, so I'm stuck with the 5 1/2 length. I was wondering if a seamstress would normally be able to hem a gi and still get those 10+ rows of stitching that I love so much on my Shureido gi. If not are there any alternatives? I don't sew much myself, nor do I have it done too often, which is why I ask.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just take it to an alterations shop. The seamstress may look at the material, and give a weary sigh, and mumble something about how tiring it will be, but yes, such a person can hem your gi.

Congrats on the purchase of a Shureido. As long as you take care of it, it will last you a long, long time, and give you many years of comfortable wearing.

Thanks. I've had my Shureido gi for a few months now, I have a black and a white middle weight (it's annoying because my dojo wears black bottoms and white tops). In any case, I plan on going heavy when I get my black, but for now I just want a gi that fits. I'm sick of rolling up the sleaves and pants.

Another quick question on Shureido gis. I've had mine for a few months, so they're pretty worn. Would it be alright to wash (not dry in drier, just wash) my white and black middle weight gi togeather? It's a huge bother washing my black pants and my white top separately, and I was wondering if it would hurt my gi or the colour of either gi to wash them both togeather.

It's still strongly recommended that you wash whites with whites, and colors with colors.

If you absolutely must wash both together, use cold wash. You may also want to toss in a non-chlorine based bleach, such as Oxyclean.

Would it be alright to wash (not dry in drier, just wash) my white and black middle weight gi togeather?

I wouldn't recommend it. Cottons are colored using dye, and black will almost certainly bleed bye into your wash water.

After several washes, the blacks will be likely bleed their colors into the wash water a lot less. So, if you need to do this, try to wash the black separately at first.

I agree you should use cold if you wash together. You should probably always wash the blacks in cold.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

I also have a Shureido middle weight, I have had the gi altered at a regular cleaners....sleeves, pant leg and the bottom of the jacket....just tell them you want the 10 rows of stitching and should be no problem....Ran me about 40 bucks and took about 4 days.

Good Luck

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

I wouldn't recommend washing your black and white gi together. Even though you've had the black one for a while there may still be some colour seepage from it when it is washed - it's better to wash it separatly and 'be safe than sorry'.

Just as an aside, as you've bought 2 gi (one black, one white) what have you done with the 'spare' bits (the black top and white bottoms)? Have you sold them on or kept them?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

When you do take them in to be altered, make sure you tell whoever that you want them done exactly like the way they are originally done. I say this because there is a second peice at the bottom of the pant leg cuff. If you don't show them that peice, they can simply sew 10 extra stitches along the bottom of the pant legs. I've had that done before, and it's not the same thing. The double cuff at the end of the pant leg adds for a lil weight too. Oh, and don't wash whites with colors...it just goes against standard washing protocals :brow: :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I don't really do anything with the white bottom and black top. The black top I sometimes use in class when I'm the head instructor, because that's how we distinguish from everyone else, but the white bottom I don't really use.