• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

List Sho Dan requirements

ShotokanKid

I have to agree with GOM. Even though it may be "traditional," it does indeed seem like a waste of time to test a 1st kyu on their kihon (basics) when, if they are testing for their black belt, their kihon should be quite competent already.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here is what I require to Shodan:

Self Defense:

Nearly 200 different techniques or combinations of techniques

Kata:

3 Kihon Kata

5 Heian

3 Naihanchi

Bassai Dai

Bassai Sho

Empi

2 Bo Kata

1 Nunchaku Kata

Bunkai for all the kata

Tameshiwari (Breaking) must include one cinder patio slab) Otherwise students choice

Kumite or defense against a full out attack

Terminology

Pressure Points

Oral explanation of the history of martial arts.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Shodan Requirements:

- 226 self defense techniques (We don't do them all at the test, though. That'd take forever.)

- Short Forms 1-3, Long Forms 1-4

- Several hand, foot, or both sets, none of which we did at my test

- A 'thesis' of ten personally developed self defense techniques, with detailed explaination of each, and performed together in a kata as well

- Gearless freestyle sparring

- Ring of Fire (Students form a semi-circle, and rotate through with one individual in the center. Students in the circle are chosen at random by the master, and they step in and (are supposed to) do one attack (people harrassed me at my test because I was so young). The student in the center must execute one of the self defense techniques or a variation thereof)

I hear these stories of ten hour black belt tests, and I wonder either how intense their tests are, or marvel at the shape they must be in...after two and a half hours of my own, most of the people were close to passing out.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Is 500 nonstop pushups even realistic? I could do about 115 earlier this year, and I thought that was amazing.

I know a guy that did 1000 in 90 minutes for a charity fund raiser. That guy is in unbelieveable shape though.

This is him doing one of his well known demos. Not quite push ups though. Don't look to close if you have a weak stomach

http://www.seijitsushindo.com/misc-pics/masterperry.jpg

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

• 2 weeks later...

SHODAN - TIME LIMIT: Minimum 3 to 5 years at least 16 years old

SUMMARY OF TEST REQUIREMENTS:

YAKUSOKU KUMITE: ALL (7)

KATAS:

· Fukyugata Ich, Ni, Sandan

· All Pinan Katas

· All Naihanci Katas

· Ananku

· Wankan

KATA BUNKAI:(min.)

· Fukyugata Katas

· Pinan Shodan

· Pinan Nidan

KUMITE: The student will free style kumite with fellow black belts for three minute bouts.

ATEMI ( BREAKING) Wood Breaks 1.Punching 2.Elbow Shoto

WRITTEN TEST GIVEN BY BOARD MEMBERS

ORAL TEST: What does it mean to you to be a Black Belt.

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

Minimum 3.5 years of training

Since this is an isshinryu school...

katas: Seisan, Seiuchin, Naihanchi Sho, Wansu, Chinto, Kusanku, Sanchin, Sunsu.

Kobudo: Kyan no Sai, Kusanku Sai, Tokumine no Kun.

I also train in and teach Okinawan Kobudo...Sho dan for that requires the performance and Bunkai of 12 weapons katas.

Naihanchi Shodan-Sandan

Pinan Shodan-Godan

Wansu

Ananku

Seisan

Niseishi

Passai

Bunkai for all kata, a written test on lineage and terminology, an essay, a show of self defense, and free sparring.

"You all come from different instructors, so as I look around the room I may see many different

ways of preforming this kata, however, if you are turning left and I turn right, we have a problem."

-Renshi Thomas Apsokardu (Godan, Okinawa Kenpo Karate Kobudo Koryu Kan)

Matthew Sullivan

Our Shodan exam is actually quite short. Our Ikkyu test can be up to six hours or more in length, but Shodan is considerably shorter, perhaps only an hour or two. I am not sure why, but this is tradition in our school. We are not asked to test until Sensei has already determined we have performed to the level that we would be promoted to. This way there are no surprises on test day. Nobody has every failed a test because their performance in class is actually the test! Our belt exams are still fairly grueling, however, because we study two systems and have to know all material for both and perform it well.

Shodan requirements are some 30+ kata, ippon kumite, lines with bo and sai, free sparring, long chamber, and centerline, and a oral test on history and philosophy. Tests are cumulative to Shodan, where that test is pared back substantially. Although I am glad that we don't have to endure what some BB's endure in their test, I feel we have already proven ourselves in our classes, which can last up to 3 hours long and are quite challenging.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

For Shodan:

Tai Kyoku Kumi (a blend of the traditional Tai Kyoku ich, ni, and san)

Wansu

Anaku

Nihanchi Sho

Empi Sho

San Chin

Bassai Dai

Tsue Sho (a basic bo form)

Go Pei Sho

Dan Enn Sho

so thats 10 forms

and (deep breath...)

Three levels for each form perfected (performance, bunkai, and with attackers)

35 Wazas (similar to one steps):

10 Tae Tsues (speed)

15 Ippons (power)

10 Kihons (power and speed)

with and without attackers

26 Judo Techniques perfected

5 Animal forms

24 Self Defenses (against wrist grabs, lapel grabs, knife thrust, etc) with variations

35 sparring combinations

4 minutues Form sparring and stance focus sparring

Judo matches, opponent lighter, same weight, and heavier (Sensei usually says he's the same weight, no matter what size you are,)

Sparring matches, same as above

Development of personal kata

Written exam

Oral exam

Black Belt Thesis (What does Shodan mean to me? or the like)

Fitness Requirements

In all, Shodan tests usually take about 6 hours and gallons of blood, sweat, tears, and vomit