• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

List Sho Dan requirements

ShotokanKid

I got to be part of the panel of black belts grading a person testing for sho dan. I would like to know the requirements for sho dan at your dojo so I can compare the how hard our sho dan test is. Thanks.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must know all 12 kata, pressure points and applications for said pressure points, basic Japanese (counting, kata name translations, stances, punches, blocks, kicks), bunkai for kata

we're also reqired to do a meditation for the 60 days before our testing and write an essay on the meaning and significance of the blackbelt.

that's all i can think of right now....there's probably more, I'll let you know after I test, or before if anymore come to mind

"No matter how you may excel in the art of

Karate, and in your scholastic endeavors, nothing is more important than your behavior and your humanity as observed in daily life."

~ Master Gichin Funakoshi

I got to be part of the panel of black belts grading a person testing for sho dan. I would like to know the requirements for sho dan at your dojo so I can compare the how hard our sho dan test is. Thanks.

Here's the requirements for BB in a Kobayashi (Shorinkan) Shorin Ryu dojo out east. Is yours like theirs?

http://www.usashorinryu.org/Curriculum/blackbelt.cfm

You can't fade me, man!

Kyokushin Sho-Dan Grading req;

Must have recommendation from own instructor.

Kumite= 40 at 1+1/2 min duration each.

Tameshiwari= 1) Seiken, 3 boards.

2) Optional, students choice of break.

Kata= All kata to date. (A lot of kata :) .)

Kihon= All kihon to date.

Note= Student must now display unison of speed, stamina, strength and co-ordination.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

These are the testing requirements for adults able to test for Shodan at the school which I train in. The actual list on the wall is this long, but this is all of the prior material that a student needed to learn for previous tests.

One year as Ikkyu, Hookiyu Kata #1, Hookiyu Kata #1 Bunkai, Hookiyu Kata #2, Hookiyu Kata #2 Bunkai, Kiso Kumite #1, Gekisai Kata #1, Gekisai Kata #1 Bunkai, Gekisai Kata #2, Gekisai Kata #2 Bunkai, Kiso Kumite #2, Gekisai Kata #3, Gekisai Kata #3 Bunkai, Gakusei no Kata, Sanchin Kata (Short Form), Gekiha Kata #1, Gekiha Kata #1 Bunkai, Saifa Kata, Kiso Kumite #3, Gekiha Kata #2, Gekiha Kata #2 Bunkai, Kiso Kumite #4, Seiunchin Kata, Kakuha Kata #1, Seisan Kata, Sanchin Kata (Long Form), Kiso Kumite #5, Method of instruction, Kiso Kumite #6, Fukushiki Kumite, Essay (4-6 pages double spaced)

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

One year as Ikkyu, Hookiyu Kata #1, Hookiyu Kata #1 Bunkai, Hookiyu Kata #2, Hookiyu Kata #2 Bunkai, Kiso Kumite #1, Gekisai Kata #1, Gekisai Kata #1 Bunkai, Gekisai Kata #2, Gekisai Kata #2 Bunkai, Kiso Kumite #2, Gekisai Kata #3, Gekisai Kata #3 Bunkai, Gakusei no Kata, Sanchin Kata (Short Form), Gekiha Kata #1, Gekiha Kata #1 Bunkai, Saifa Kata, Kiso Kumite #3, Gekiha Kata #2, Gekiha Kata #2 Bunkai, Kiso Kumite #4, Seiunchin Kata, Kakuha Kata #1, Seisan Kata, Sanchin Kata (Long Form), Kiso Kumite #5, Method of instruction, Kiso Kumite #6, Fukushiki Kumite, Essay (4-6 pages double spaced)

Wow, thats crazy. The lincoln dojo is my hombu dojo too, so for shodan i will eventually have to test there. anyway its not going to happen before another 3 years at least, im just hachikyu lol.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Here's the requirements for BB in a Kobayashi (Shorinkan) Shorin Ryu dojo out east. Is yours like theirs?

http://www.usashorinryu.org/Curriculum/blackbelt.cfm

Geneologically speaking, this could technically be called a Shorinkan dojo because of it's origins, but politically speaking, it isn't correct to call it one.

I'm not going to go into all the details, but suffice it to say the head of the organization listed here is no longer in the Shorinkan organization...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Knowledge of all basics and ability to prefrom them with speed and power.

Punching, Kicking, Blocking and other strikes in basic combinations.

Stance shifting, focus, balnace, hips, and general footwork.

Know all kata not only the testing kata. Be able to explaing application for each if called upon.

Know general history and information about your style and teacher.

Control test where the tester shows their ability to throw a punch but not hit the target.

Sparring (freestyle) Usually vs others testing or other black belts on hand.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Each black belt test is different. It depends on the person. We're also not really allowed to talk about what goes on once those doors close.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War