• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BEST TKD FORMS

I can't comment on the ATA forms because I haven't seen them. I think the ITF color belt forms are nice, but a bit too "Karate-ish" for me. I still remain partial to the Palgue forms and the Koryo forms because of the power, grace, and balance required to execute them. Additionally, the Koryo forms are very beautiful to watch.

Queen Padme: "So this is how Democracy dies-with thunderous applause."

Annikin Skywalker: "You're either with me or against me!"

Obi-won Kenobi: "That is the Way of the Sith!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used the word "showcase" to mean they are the only forms I have seen

that "show" the kicks of TKD. Too many TKD forms are "karateish" I believe also.

ATA forms are not fancy, nor do they resemble anything like a XMA form or have any flips. Its just traditional TKD with all the kicks in them. They also have a logical flow to them.

I can illustrate the ATA forms easiest by using the white belt from.

the sequence is like this;

High block-reverse punch-front kick-low bock-lunge punch (stepping punch) turn -inner forearm block-side kick-knifehand strike- luge punch...the sequence then repeates on the other side...if you kicked with left before....you do exact kick with right on second sequence....thus 50/50 development from left to right. All their forms repeate halfway through, to perform the exact sequence with opposite hands/feet sides.

You will notice even in the white belt form there are 4 kicks (2 front kicks,2 side kicks) as well as ample hand movements.

Thats why I like ATA forms and say their the best...all the TKD kicks are in the forms, as well as logical flow, increasing difficulty, and strength and technique are "prodiminately" focused on.

The result (for the best students,with the best instuctors)

is picture perfect technique that is fast and strong, as well as well developed kicks to all heights and areas.

I recognize the ATA has severe problems with actually developing good fighters (mostly because of mcdojos and their point fighting thats why Im WTF and crosstrain now) but taught by a good instructor the ATA practitioner is far superb to most all I have see as far as forms go. Thats why I say they have the best forms.

Its not the art, its the artist.

I personally learn the Chang Hon forms in my Dojang, but have been around and learned the Tae Guek forms and have practiced a couple of the songahm forms as well.

IMHO i would say that the Chang Hon form set are the best for teaching students techniques applicable to their time trained (bearing in mind the minimum time between the belts for us is 3 months, then 6 months after you hit blue belt).

My only problem with the Songahm form set is that it starts off with a lot of moves that most white belts wont be able to get to grip with that well and that early on, unless of course the grading time on the first step off white belt were to be longer.

It is always really interesting to go around different Dojangs and learn the different form sets, and i was wondering if anyone knows any sites with a collection of the different forms from each group as i was thinking of doing one myself.

yea dont the ata forms have flying kicks really early on? imo most students of earlier levels arent ready for that...

Theres a natural progression of kicks. IMO There are too many "Hand Technique Dominated" forms in ITF/WTF for it to be TKD. It looks like shotokan Karate to me.

There is no "flying" kicks in any ATA form.

The first jump kick is taught at 3 belts in (6 months of training usualy) and is a jump front kick (a #3 in ATA-the 'karate kid" kick haha. You dont jump distance however, you just jump straight up.

Even the Jump Front Kick is a pretty basic TKD kick, considering all the advaned kicks you adventualy have to perform in TKD, and you cant introduce them all at once.

But when you come from a "karate like" tkd form...the more progressive and challenging Songahm forms would seem to be "flashy and too early". Even though they are basic TKD kicks.

Hey Sam, I think that would be a great Idea. I can be responsible for the ATA type. Id like to record and post them on video for a site (as log as the ATA doesnt throw a fit, they are so communist, really its like a cult...HAHA)

But I would like to cotribute with those when/if you do it.

Taekwondo's history is Shotokan karate so its perfectly reasonable that their form sets would resemble it. Also many of the original kwans had their own form sets that arent used much today...in addition to the ones we've all stated.

Long Live the Fighters!

Yeah, I understand the base and where it came from.

The ATA did a good thing in coming up with the more TKDish forms to represent the true TKD style of

50/50 hands/feet.

IMO There are too many "Hand Technique Dominated" forms in ITF/WTF for it to be TKD. It looks like shotokan Karate to me.

well tkd was invented by a man trained in shotokan karate (general choi), and this is where is draws most of its roots from... so it kinda makes sense?

There is no "flying" kicks in any ATA form.
in itf we call jumping 'flying'

The first jump kick is taught at 3 belts in (6 months of training usualy) and is a jump front kick (a #3 in ATA-the 'karate kid" kick haha. You dont jump distance however, you just jump straight up.

Even the Jump Front Kick is a pretty basic TKD kick, considering all the advaned kicks you adventualy have to perform in TKD, and you cant introduce them all at once.

But when you come from a "karate like" tkd form...the more progressive and challenging Songahm forms would seem to be "flashy and too early". Even though they are basic TKD kicks.

i dont see how its a 'basic' technique... someone that trains for 6 months will seldom be able to apply a jumping front kick in a way that is advantageous... theyd get screwed up... infact only very gifted students/black belts can apply jumping kicks in an effective way in a real situation... in itf we are invited to try (dependant on club) jumping kicks at a green belt level, but they dont appear in forms until chongmoo (the black stripe (pre black belt) pattern) IMO only at this stage you can have a firm grasp on how to apply this kick in a real situation (and even then... only really in sparring)

im not trying to attack the ATA system i just dont think at 6 months training someone is ready to learn 'flashy' stuff like a jumping kick...

Yeah,

If I wanted to learn shotokan karate thats what I would have signed up for. I see no reason for a TKD form to backpack shotokan karate....it has evolved to the point to where it can definetly be a independent art. TKD is a totally different art than Karate now. Thus, the ATA forms are best, IMO.

Ive never had any problem teaching people the jump front kick 6 months in, but in ATA, they are kicking from the begining. They can definetly effectivly apply it.

The ITF forms are not really close to karate forms. For one they use the sin wave motion in all of their forms. As for TKD being a separate entity from Karate, the basic principals of nearly every striking martial art are the same. You will have a reverse punch, a front kick, a side kick, a back kick, etc. in every style. I have seen the ATA forms, and guess what your 50/50 left side right side thing has been done for centuries in forms like Naihanchin. Also, if forms are to be applicable to a daily situation, it would make more sense to teach them using more hand techniques. Only very advanced and exceptionally talented practitioners are going to be able to successfully kick someone in the head in a street situation and disable them for the remainder of the fight. You can probably explain what every technique is supposed to do in a form, but I'd like to see it applied. I have seen the ATA forms, Taeguk forms, Palgwe forms, and ITF forms. I have also done Karate for going on 14 years now. I can tell you that each of the sets of TKD forms have their fair amount of differences from Karate. Of course certain things are going to be Shotokanesque, that is where the style is rooted. That would be like saying Kusanku shouldn't look Chinese, even though that's where the kata is rooted. Each set of forms has its own purpose. Although some may be easier to learn than others, this does not take away from their value. Koryo is something like 33 techniques long. It is very short, but if someone can show me Koryo and then explain every tecchnique and be able to apply it to a real life situation that is better than knowing my black belt kata Sunsu and not being able to apply a single thing. And as far as being able to teach the jump kick, them actually being able to use it is different. Every style teaches basic kicks from the beginning. Isshin-Ryu does 15 upper and 15 lower body excercises from the beginning. The way we teach, you do only those for the first 2 months of training and then the month leading up to your belt test you learn your kata. So, I don't see how ATA is any different from other school in that respect.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War