• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Korean Terminology

Not much korean at my new school :-? but at my old school, your BB test was in Korean..and if you didn't know it you failed! I still use korean once in a while but always with english too so the students are getting some exposure to it without becoming confused.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really do believe this is an important part of learning TKD, as whats the point in learning something ifyou dont really know what it is, other than what it does (if that makes any sense?)

Makes perfect sense, Sam. Probably one of the more wise thoughts I've seen in a long time and you don't even know it. :D And I would bet that after five years of training with that kind of awareness of what you are doing that you have reached a potential beyond what you or anyone else thought possible.

I think a lot of the atmosphere in dojangs today is to focus on the exciting stuff so as not to lose "customers". If I ran a school, I would probably have very few students since I would expect and require much out of everyone. Not just a handful of talented kids.

I like my school. Good friends there. However the owners want to run it is their business. I expect a lot out of myself being an adult and aware of what the art really means to me. It shouldn't really matter where you train. Things like terminology and language can be learned very much on your own time. Sometimes you just have to motivate yourself to be the best you can be. That's integrity. Courtesy and respect are not making it an issue with friends.

"One who controls himself is stronger than one who controls others."

I think a lot of the atmosphere in dojangs today is to focus on the exciting stuff so as not to lose "customers". If I ran a school, I would probably have very few students since I would expect and require much out of everyone. Not just a handful of talented kids.

I never said asking student's to learn some terminology is asking too much. I'd like it if it was explained better at my school- or if we used it more often rather than learning it for no reason.Why does everyone here seem to think that just because a school doesn't do a lot of terminology the school's terrible? I do MA for physical as well as mental reasons. My teacher lectures us often and is a great role-model.

I have been helping out with new students (for free-trial classes) and those that whine that it's boring to do the same technique over and over don't usually sign up for the actual class.

I think you misunderstood or read something into my post I didn't write.

I'm not putting down anyone's school. It's just my own personal belief that learning terminology and anything else I can absorb about the art makes ME a better martial artist.

My instructor is a great role model, too. He's also paralyzed from the waist down and teaches from his wheelchair. I also instruct people with disabilities.

Everyone can do their own thing. I just want to shout out to everyone that there is so much more. You CAN be better than you thought possible. This transcends just thoughts on terminology. It's just more than kicking and punching. I can't explain it, but understanding theory and design makes for more power. It's what Bruce Lee emphasized in his philosophy.

"One who controls himself is stronger than one who controls others."

I think it definitely depends on what you see you wnat to get form your MA training ....

Terminology has lots of interpretations as to why we do it, surprising how a discussion about learning terminology can get so indepth.

• 4 months later...

It's interesting to read the discussion of the necessity to use a martial arts native terminology.

I would agree that it's more a case of needing universal terminology that everyone practicing the sport should understand. Why should English always be the universal language? Also, you will notice that in many competitions, the referees use the Korean terms for awarding points, penalties, and declaring the winner.

I think that learning the terminology for the moves you are doing is a part of the entire learning process. I can't say, however, that the terminology has enhanced my real understanding of TKD, but it's been useful in the context of providing universal terms when I train in different countries.

Moreover, a word of caution about the websites that are supposed to give you 'Korean' terms. The romanized transcript of the Korean characters is often way out of the real pronunciation. I've heard many non-Korean TKD masters using Korean terminology which is so far off the mark - how many ways they write their title - sa bom/sabim/sabinum. This is NOT Korean! I wonder at the Korean masters who meet them - I really reckon they are laughing their socks off inside - quite embarrassing IMO.

Your best bet, if you are in TKD for the long term, is to find a native Korean who can teach you the correct pronunciation. Becoming acquainted with a native Korean will also give you insight into the mannerisms of the people who created this sport. Ultimately that is necessary if you are someone who would like to understand the true essence of martial arts. (And can provide you with dignified pronunciation if you should ever become an instructor!)

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*