• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Korean Terminology

Are you required to use Korean terminology? How much? Do you believe it's important for schools to use it? Why?

At my dojang (but we usually just say "studio") we're required to know how to count from 1-10, say words like "bow" "at ease" "at attention" . Even though the handbook has a lot of terms and phrases, we don't use Korean that often. Is there really any point for having to learn terminology- or is it just for show?

Also, does anyone know what the word "hasa" or maybe it's "asa" means? I've heard my master say it a few times but am worried about asking- don't know if I'm supposed to know it. :dodgy: I don't think I am though because it sounds like a compliment, like "Cool!" or "Sweet!"

Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a good site for terms (it's got audio too :) )

http://www.itatkd.com/terminology.html

Anyways, I like learning the Korean terms. I learned a lot in TSD, but my TKD dojang doesn't say much in Korean. I sometimes say something in Korean and some people get confused (other than boro, kyung yeh, ect). I kind of "slip" when I say something in Korean, but it is still habbit from my TSD dojang LOL.

Laurie F

When I teach, I teach in Korean and English. First, I give the command in Korean, which the students repeat, and then in English, to which they respond "yes, sir!!!".

Many of the traditional Korean Dojangs I know of do this.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

Your dojang sounds much like my own. Many words in the handbook but few used in class.

I began my training in 1985 and studied through 1988. Real close to black belt but never tested because the school closed and I was 19 with other interests (that's another story). I started up again two years ago when my son turned seven and have climbed back to my former rank and conditioning at the age of 37.

We used Korean terminology frequently in the old school. That seems to be a bygone era for most of TKD. I feel it's important to learn terms and commands in Korean. It is important to develop the mind as well as the body. Letting some traditions go, to me, is sad. It's a sign of disrespect for the art to deem some aspects unimportant. Making an effort to learn even the most boring techniques or curriculum is part of the tenet of integrity.

Folks can learn all of the fancy kicks or sparring moves they want. But they will never understand the true mental and physical power that can be realized through respect and dedication to the art.

"One who controls himself is stronger than one who controls others."

It depends on your intentions. If you just want to train and fight, well Korean culture probably won't help you. If you're in it to train an art, like any other art, the history and culture is somewhat important.

I agree about that it not being the way of TKD recently - guess its the more sport orientated edge its taking.

Im only 19 and have been training for 5 years, so cant really comment on how it used to be, but id definitely agree that general theory, not just korean terminology but other things to, is not concentrated on enough in alot of dojangs....

I really do believe this is an important part of learning TKD, as whats the point in learning something ifyou dont really know what it is, other than what it does (if that makes any sense?)

I really do believe this is an important part of learning TKD, as whats the point in learning something ifyou dont really know what it is, other than what it does (if that makes any sense?)

You sure you need to learn another language for that?

The English translation in my handbook just doesn't sound right.

DAE CHON JI IN- Big or Good Heaven and Earth Person

(Name of my form btw)

I'm interested in Korean culture, but I'd rather actually learn the language and read about the country rather than trying to learn just fragments. I think my instructors used to enforce it much more, but dropped it somewhere along the way (which is why they need to update the handbook :kaioken: ).

They originally spoke all in Korean, so how is this respecting a tradition:

"Alright now we'll practice cha gi"

Why chop up two languages in one sentence?

Ok, I'll stop. Getting too pessimistic. :dodgy:

Those of you who are required to learn it, how much do you learn? I'm beginning to wonder if the people who say how great it is have to learn the ENTIRE KOREAN LANGUAGE. Do your instructors enforce it, or do you learn by choice?

A good reason for it other than respect, is it provides a universal language for TKD practictioners to train wherever.... in any dojang all over the world...

I learn terminology rather than the language, but i would actually love to learn it; just a matter of finding the time, or a teacher.

A good reason for it other than respect, is it provides a universal language for TKD practictioners to train wherever.... in any dojang all over the world...

Never thought of it that way. You're a smart one...

But it would still be much better to learn how to use the terms in a Korean sentence, rather than using English with Korean words tossed in. It just doesn't sound right, and I doubt people who speak other languages would understand too well. Unless someone randomly shouts out a word at a time,"CHARIOT!" And I'm not sure if we're pronouncing it right. My master's from Korea. But he rarely corrects any of us- except for when one of us is OBVIOUSLY wrong. (Example: One girl would finish up the class and say,"Face the flags CHARIOT, PYUNN YE PYUNYI YE!!" I guess he got tired of it and finally said,"It's Kook ki eh kyung ye" not sure if I spelled it right.)

Of course, it's common to toss words of other languages in.

-Sayonara

-Deja Vu (Isn't that French or something?)

-Mi casa su casa (spelled right?)

etc.