• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what do you think about Kyokushin karate

y2_sub

I am just wondering what do you people think about kyokushin karate , i mean , its ups and downs , how effective is it , or any thing that might cross your mind , i'd like some opinions from another Martial arts students , surprise me :lol: .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would certainly rate Kyokushin-kai as one of the more popular styles of karate-do. Oyama Sensei I believe was definately onto something when he developed this style.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

Kyokushin is very popular around the world, except the USA. My impression is that the hard contact and pain involved were too much for the average customer, who tended to gravitate towards TKD or Shotokan. With MMA, Muay Thai, K-1 getting a lot of media coverage, the market's fear of pain and contact may have lessened and Kyokushin might find more interested followers. Perhaps it has already missed the boat.

Kyokushin is also riven into different factions, each denouncing the other, which is unfortunate. It'd be nice, though highly unlikely, for all the different groups to be united under one governing body with a talented, charismatic and market savvy leader.

The only real 'downside' to Kyokushin is the lack of throwing, ground skills and 'head strikes'.

That said, it is without a doubt the most 'intense' form of Karate you could choose to practise.

If you are looking for 'stand up fighting only' then this is the perfect choice. However, if you would like to become an 'all round fighter' then you will need to compliment Kyokushin with other arts (eg. Judo, Jiu Jitsu).

If you like - take a look at my signature. I've put together a 'beginners guide'. It should tell you everything you need to know.

-V-

More than 200 pictures of Kyokushin technique.

Kata outlined step by step.

https://www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)

Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)

I think its the best striking style you can take, after Muay Thai and Boxing of course.

My only gripe with it is the lack of punches to the head, as I feel that strikes to the head are the most common attack one is going to see in an actual fight.

Hi Gumbi,

You mention that you see Kyokushin as coming 'after' Muay Thai and/or Boxing.

I'm intrigued. Are you experienced in these three styles? On what basis do you draw your conclusions?

-V-

My conclusions came from what I already posted- the lack of punches to the head is what I believe hold Kyokushin back.

I believe learning how to throw your hands is a much more important skill than learning how to kick. Dont get me wrong, Im not saying Kyokushin wont or cant do that, but the fact is that punching is the name of the game in boxing, and Muay Thai incorporates that with kicks along with added knees, elbows, and clinchwork.

Competition Records speak for themselves.

lack of punches to the head...

Ah! Now I understand. :D Thanks for the clarification. This is a common misconception amongst those that do not practise Kyokushin. It is true to say that head strikes are not allowed during competition. However, one practises head strike techniques regularly.

I listed it as a 'possible' downside only since others seem to think it so. I am proficient in Muay Thai and consider my Kyokushin training to be of far more use on the street.

Remember: Kyokushin competition doesn't punch to the head. This does not apply to Kyokushin training (where 'street real applications' are practised regularly). Indeed, Kyokushin was designed with the street in mind.

Consider: Muay Thai / Boxing etc - doesn't train 'bare knuckle'. Kyokushin doesn't allow head punches in competition (since the fight is bare knuckle).

In other words:

Each art has a different way of handling the 'Pavement Arena' problem. That is, how do we train safely yet become truly prepared for the street? In Muay Thai and boxing, the gloves are used to strike but also to defend. One has no such defense on the street.

Kyokushin is primarily a system of self-defense and secondly a sport. Boxing/Muay Thai are primarily sports that are also a highly effective means of defense.

Fighting evolved into the sports of boxing and/or Muay Thai. The sport of Karate (which originally evolved from fighting systems) were pro-actively regressed into the fighting system of Kyokushin. In effect, turning back the clock so that Kata became a means of practise - not the goal.

With this in mind - one could argue that Muay Thai and boxing are less 'street real' than Kyokushin (which is street effective by design). Boxing and Muay Thai are training systems that are in no way focused on street situtations. That said, they are without question effective since they are striking arts and most street fights start with swinging fists.

I am not questioning their efficiency (so guys don't start jumping on the 'my style is better than your style' band wagon). I am just clearly stating that the evolution of the styles and systems involved have resulted in strengths and weaknesses in all.

I have no interest in competition. So, I no longer practise Muay Thai. I am interested in the constant development of realistic techniques that apply in the Grappling, Throwing, Striking and Ground ranges - so, I practise Kyokushin Budo Kai.

'To each his own' I guess. But, I just wanted to leave my two-cents worth regarding this ongoing urban-myth that Kyokushin doesn't train for head strikes. It's simply not used in competition (after all, bare knuckle fighting is illegal in most countries... :brow: ).

:D Nothing personal Gumbi. I hope you realise that. :D

-V-