• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I find this odd

kotegashiNeo

This is actually one of the reasons I like be ing part of a large governing organization. If you have been training consistently without a gap, and you change schools, your rank is prtected, period.

It's a different story if there has been an extensive gap in training, but not if you've been training consistently.

That said, it is the instructor's discretion where to start people who have trained in other organizations, and most will start over at white belt,and will then be tested to the appropriate rank.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear what everyone is saying but I think alot of you have missed the point. As for my old sensei he was more of a business man than a sensei and that is where the problem between me and him lay. As for the new sensei his okinawan sensei and mine are bitter enemies and to accept lower rank in the EXACT same system I feel would be disrespectful to Yasuda sensei who is my okinawan sensei. If it was a different system or even a different style of goju say meibukan or shorei kan than I could understand as there would be many little differences but it isn't it is the same. So To accept lower rank or not is the question still. I have no problem wearing a white belt in a system I know nothing about which is what I plan on doing anyway so thanks for everyones help

Ahhh, exact same style. You see that makes a difference.

Yes that would be a slight jab to your old sensei, but no where near as big a jab as you are making by going to the other school in the first place. I would put politics aside and accept what they were willing to offer. Over time you will gain their trust and earn their respect and they may evaluate your rank differently at that time. They may not, but what does it really matter? You're still learning what you need to learn.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Dude its JUST A BELT. if thats all you get out of the MA than

well :cry: I feel sad for you

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

It happpens to a lot of people. When you change karate clubs, you have to follow THEIR rules. The best thing to do is to pratice the club's required techniques for a black belt and request to take the black belt test.

Another alternation is forget about the grades and train in the new dojo. I mean, karate is not about grades.

Longarm I do thank you for your opinion but it is not the belt that concerns me it is the potential disrespect to my sensei but as sauzin mentioned it is a bigger slap in the face to train with these people in the first place. So I will train in aikido and I very much look forward to starting from square one.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

This is assuming that someone IS going to join. I have mixed feelings on this matter, but here goes anyways:

Case #1): If a dan-ranked karate-ka is going from one traditional dojo to another traditional dojo within the same style, then I generally see no problems with letting him start out at a higher level, and would let him start out with no rank, but allow him to wear his current rank. After all, when it comes down to it, no matter how people vary in their teachings, traditional Shotokan Karate is still traditional Shotokan Karate, traditional Wado-Ryu Karate is still traditional Wado-Ryu Karate, traditional Shorin Ryu Karate is still traditional Shorin Ryu, etc.

If anything, though, I would ask the student if it were OK to give his former sensei / shihan a friendly call, just to chat a bit. I realize that not all students will be comfortable with my wanting to speak with their former instructors for various reasons (left on bad terms, etc), but for the most part, this hasn't been a problem. If anything, it's a great way to introduce yourself to another fellow instructor of the martial arts.

Case #2): If a dan-ranked karate-ka is going from a different style of Karate that is still closely related, such as a traditionally trained Shotokan yudansha coming over to a traditional Wado-Ryu dojo, I'd still allow him to train with something other than a white belt, and in the cases of someone who picks things up quickly, would even allow as high as an unofficial brown belt. If the student is that advanced in a closely related style, and a good learner, then there's simply no reason why they couldn't hop right into the more advanced classes. Still, though, I would make such a student attend the beginner and intermediate classes as well, since certain things, such as basic techniques, can certainly differ.

Once the advanced student has demonstrated that he knows all of the basics of the style, and can perform all of the requirements required for black belt, then I would let him test for an official Shodan rank. This can be as short as a half year, or as long as it needs to be, depending on the student.

At the very least, though, I would ask that such a student start out training without the gi. Ordinary shorts and a t-shirt would be fine. By observing him in his first few classes, I would be able to get an evaluation of his abilities and experience, and make a placement decision accordingly.

Case #3): If a dan rank from a significantly different style came in, such as going from a traditional Tae Kwon Do dojang to a traditional Wado-Ryu dojo, then I would make him start at white belt, with the understanding that he would be progressing a lot faster than others. In the end, he may very get to Shodan in the same time as the guy in Case #2, if things go well.

Case #4): If a dan rank from ANY style, comes in and requests to start at white belt, then I would certainly grant this. Again, if he's a good student, then he'll probably be progressing through the ranks significantly faster than the others, and in the end, could get to Shodan as quickly as any of the above (except for #1).

Ultimately, it is the chief instructor's decision, when initially "placing" a new student that has significant training, and if his beliefs are different than what I have stated, I would respect them, if I wanted to train in his dojo. The way I see it, if you're a good Karate-ka, then you'll climb up the ranks in short order.

Remember, good Karate is always going to be good Karate, and those who are good Karate-kas will rise to the occasion.

I realize that some folks will strongly disagree with what I propose, and to each, his own. Remember, this is simply an essay on what I would do if I were the instructor, and not what others should do.

Longarm I do thank you for your opinion but it is not the belt that concerns me it is the potential disrespect to my sensei but as sauzin mentioned it is a bigger slap in the face to train with these people in the first place. So I will train in aikido and I very much look forward to starting from square one.

Well I'm sure there's more to all of this then you are bringing up here. It's a tough decision either way you go. Personally I would put politics aside and do what was right for my art. The best ways to respect your original teacher are to hone your skill, pay tribute to him for what you already know, and never speak ill of him. Beyond this you have to do what is right for your own art. If he respects you he will understand this. In the end respect shouldn't be about making other people happy and it should not be mistaken for politics or popularity. Respect should be earned by tirelessly pursuing the art, helping others do the same, and remaining humble to those who would help you. If this is what you are doing then go to whatever school will help you grow the most. That is my suggestion.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry about what belt you're wearing. And don't see it as being disrespectful to Yasuda Sensei...

https://www.SyracuseJundokan.com

Authentic & Traditional Goju-ryu

WKF Competition Training

Jundokan Honbu: https://www.jundokan.jp

(While you're reading this, your next opponent is sweating in the dojo!)