• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I find this odd

kotegashiNeo

I am a graded shodan in okinawan karate and my head sensei is Tetsunosuke Yasuda 10th dan Jundokan. Yet I wanted to train at another dojo and they wanted me start at 5th kyu or green and work my way up again as it is their policy. I could understand that if I had taken sometime of my training then this might be acceptable but I haven't so why make me grade all over again. I understand that it is a new dojo with different rules and I should not walk in wearing my black belt but there should still be some sort of accelerated process. I know one dojo that has pervious black belts wear white belts for a period of three months and then resume wearing there black belts which I think is fair. I know it is just a grade but I feel it disrespectful to Yasuda sensei to except lower grade from another sensei that ranks beneath him. I would like to continue training goju but this is the only dojo that does okinawan goju what would you do

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may need to train on your own and bide your time. I had to do that after my sensei moved. It doesn't make sense to make you begin at 5th kyu again and retest for each grade thereafter. I would understand a waiting period. I would try to discuss things out with the sensei. You could also have your sensei talk things over with him. It is a difficult thing moving from one school to another. Policies and rules are different.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I don't think that it's right that this new teacher ask you to go back to 5 kyu. You earned your rank. If Goju Ryu is anything like Uechi Ryu you're registered in Okinawa as a Shodan. You are staying in the same style, same katas. I wouldn’t do it. Train on your own and go back to your old sensei for a tune up from time to time.

More Practice

Question about wearing a white belt when moving to a new school...

I know one guy that wears a white belt in my school that moved from a Kempo school. Is it customary to wear a white belt when you move to a new school? Same style or different styles, or different branch? I'll be a red belt most likely when I have to leave my school, just wondering what others think. And what do you think about wearing an old gi to the new school?

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

Unless you are just visiting you shouldn't wear another schools uniform as this could be taken as overt disrespect. As far as wearing a white belt or taking a lower kyu ranking goes, if you don't like it don't train there. However, if you want to train there and are humble in spirit, it won't matter what color belt you wear because it is about that martial artist you are and you will be noticed and advanced accordingly. You have to earn the respect of your new master instructor...it can't be inferred just because you wear a black belt-even if it is from the same style! I have been there several times and never have regretted "starting over"...not once!! Each time has been a rewarding experience.

The definition of a mature mind: To give without remembering, to receive without forgetting.

You have a lifetime to see but a small part of a much bigger picture....even a brief glimpse from another perspective has value.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

At our dojo, you may wear you BB from another style, but you'll start back at the white belt level unless you show proficiency to indicate otherwise. We have three students who wear BB's even though they are studying at the 10th, 7th, or 2nd kyu level.

Sensai says, "I will not take away what you have earned."

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

I don't see a problem with dropping back in rank

1. there are things within this style that you may not have learned yet that are required for their shodan rank - at their school.

2. it may take much more to achieve it in their system.

Whenever you step into a new school you are to empty your cup and learn what they are teaching you. In the end, it's only a belt. I wouldn't worry about it, as that's not what should be important to you.

In our school you go right back to white belt and work your way through each kyu grade. However with past experience you may be allowed to sit kyu grades faster than normal.

We have very high standards and a different curriculum to most schools and there is always that farmiliarisation process.

But think of the fun! You can be a white belt that beats brown belts in sparring!! Haha

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing