• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Burning in the ankles

Olivier

Hello!

I've been practicing Karate for around 5 years now.

A couple of years ago, something strange occured: I started getting some kind of burning in my ankles. Its really annoying because the tendons(?) and muscles from my ankles to the side of my calf are all stiff and they burn!

I keep getting this burning every time i go to class, doing the basics (zenkutsu's for an extended period of time).

I thought that:

1) I might not be doing my stances right.

I don't think so... I would've gotten criticism a while ago if that was so.

2) My body's either gotten sissy/My body is getting old.

I don't think so either... i'm still 23, very young indeed.

Can anyone help me with that?

I do warm-up my ankles/calf, it certainly helps, but it doesn't eliminate the burning.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Once upon a time, I was young, and thought I was indestructible. I could go straight into a workout / class without stretching, until the day that I strained a flexor. Not nice. That's when I took preliminary warmups and stretching seriously.

Try doing some stretching before you start your workout. Sit down, extend one leg, and prop your ankle on top of it. Use your hands to grasp the foot, and rotate the ankle around in circles a couple dozen times one way, and then a couple dozen times the other way.

Also, stretch your calf muscles.

After your workout is done, ice your ankles, and see if this makes a difference, especially when you wake up the next morning.

If the pain still persists, as with anyone, go to your doctor. You should be getting an annual physical exam anyways, so you may as well schedule one soon. Mention this to your doctor, and see what can be done.

the tendons(?) and muscles from my ankles to the side of my calf are all stiff and they burn!

I keep getting this burning every time i go to class, doing the basics (zenkutsu's for an extended period of time).

I thought that:

1) I might not be doing my stances right.

I don't think so... I would've gotten criticism a while ago if that was so.

2) My body's either gotten sissy/My body is getting old.

Hey, I had this same problem when I started!

You're right, you're straining the tendons. First, when you get loosened up, be sure to stretch your ankles/lower legs. Typically, we spend a lot of time on arms and legs that we forget about the feet and ankles.

Second, you are probably landing flat-footed into you Zenkutsu Dachi (at least I was). As you would up and down the mat, keep your eyes level and place the foot in place. What I would do is put the foot down hard enough that when I then put my body weight onto my leg, I would actually push too far laterally and not enough forwards. Relaxation helped solve this problem, since now I try to glide into place, not step into place.

The pain comes back, but now it takes a good hour of kata, not 10 minutes of moving up and down the mat. But the problem is the same - I start getting tired and sloppy.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

I've been thinking about that a bit... and i think i found the solution to the problem.

Last time in class, my sensei was talking about how when you put your back foot pointing forwards, you have more pushing power.

I used to do Shorin Ryu before, and we used Siko-dachi when doing hammi (erm... contracting?) moving into Zenkutsu-dachi (when expanding), using the legs in a different way. Taking that into account, i put my back foot as straight as i can, both toes nearly pointing forward.

Now in shotokan, being in Zenkutsu-dachi a lot without going to Siko-dachi puts more stress on this back foot which is always pointing forward.

hmm does it make sense to you?

Thank you for your replies above =) this forum is awesome!