• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Perfecting the back kick

ShotokanKid

I would like to know how to perfect a back kick (not tips like practice) I practice but I would like to know some drills or something like that to perfect my kick (balance and kick power) Thanks

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seems like when I'm practicing kicks and have trouble with my balance, I work on doing them slower. If you can do kicks slow, it's easier to do them fast (I think :P maybe this just works for me)

Just an idea. :) Good luck... keep up the work, you'll eventually get it one way or the other

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

How do you know that yours isn't already perfect? What is wrong with your kick? What criticism does your instructor make?

If you list some problems you have such as balance, power, height, etc. it would be easier for us to make recomendations.

I posted a similar question a couple of weeks back and got quite a few tips on improving balance.

The most helpful thing I have found is to keep the head still and the eyes focussed on a particular object (we practice turning back kick with back to the opponent and head facing forward - focussing the eyes on an object ahead really helps to keep balance).

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

My kicks aren't bad, they just could be better.

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

I want to learn to do it quickly and cleanly without flailing

Quickly and cleanly with no flailing, huh?

Twist your head and look over your shoulder. This keeps your COG over your pivot foot. Looking around your shoulder tilts your head forward, messing up your balance. Keep your hands high and close to your body. This protects your head and helps you spin faster.

The strangest advice I've ever heard is, "focus on an object in front of you" when the target we are attacking is behind us. Such foolishness worries me... :-?

The single most imporant rule of a strong back kick (there are many areas to consider - this just happens to be the most important) is:

Never take your eyes off the target. Watch it before you turn, be watching it as you turn. Be watching it as you extend your leg, and be watching it as you drive your foot into it.

If you 'keep your eye on the ball', all the other parts 'balance, timing, co-ordination, power, control' etc will slowly come in. Your body will 'teach itself' to provide what is needed to strike that 'target' effectively.

First teach your eyes - and let your brain take care of the rest (through repetition). :)

-V-

More than 200 pictures of Kyokushin technique.

Kata outlined step by step.

https://www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)

Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)

Quickly and cleanly with no flailing, huh?

Twist your head and look over your shoulder. This keeps your COG over your pivot foot. Looking around your shoulder tilts your head forward, messing up your balance. Keep your hands high and close to your body. This protects your head and helps you spin faster.

back kick. not spinning back kick.

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."