• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

big school misconceptions

I've seen a large school not be a mcdojo (though the instructor wasn't driving around in a benz). The way he pulled it off was this:

Sunday: no classes

Monday: Open practice for anyone who wanted to come

Tuesday-Thursday: Three one our classes (you only go to one class, unless you are registered for more than one), each with 10-15 students.

Friday: no classes

Saturday: starts out as open to all, then splits up between an open practice for anyone who wants to come, and an advanced practice of about 15-20 students.

This way his school has over 100 students, but when he is teaching it is to a small enough group that he can make sure each student get proper instruction.

Thats a very smart way to teach large numbers, congrats to him

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hmmm...I have over 100 active students and still consider my school a small school. I offer 5 classes a day and most students come to 2 or 3 a week, so each class is typically only about 10 to 20 students. I have a friend who has a large school...over 350 active students. Of course I've only been open for 9 months, and my friend has been there for 10 years.

--

I run about 80 students divided into 3 different locations, i have been fortunate to set up in the following way, each location is about twenty minutes by car from where i live, and if you consider the letter Y , my place of residence is in the centre of the letter and each location the end of each arm. Lets call them A,B,C.

location A is monday, wednesday and friday,

location B is tuesday, and

location C is thursday, i then alternate B and C on Saturday mornings.

The friday class is a free class,(i dont charge for it) and is open to any of my students to attend if they dont mind travelling. I also do a morning class twice a week in the same area as location C, but different premises.

Location B and C are both gyms that invited me to teach,(i pay no rent) and they pay me a salary, location A is a Kung Fu school run by friend of mine, (who has 3 branches nationwide here) and who invited me to teach Tai Chi at his school as he focuses solely on the Kung Fu.

This is my life and my work, i have no other job, and have been doing it for 10 years now, i gave up working to teach fulltime, because it is my passion and my love. Yes some months i struggle financially, and i will never be rich, but i am doing what i love, and living a dream i had from young, and i am fortunate to be able to do it.

If people judge me big or small, i dont mind, i give whatever i can to my students, i make time for them , and i make sure that what i give them is what i have been given, no holding back.(that old saying: in giving we recieve, - it works!) My goal is to change their lives in whatever small way i can for the better, and if i succeed in that then i know i have been a good teacher, for without them , i cant call myself a teacher.

You can if interested check out my friends schools at the following link:

https://www.cmahc.co.za

cheers

Without long practice one cannot suddenly understand Tai Chi : - Tai Chi Classics