• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Home study black belt course- works for me

When Harvad and Yale will reconize my Doctrate degree I did at home Ill reconize you black belt at home.

So what does it take to reconize someone being a black belt? being part of a big orginization like JKA? Or what about getting a black belt from a Mcdojo, is that legit? You know what you are right, it wont mean anything even if my abilities equil that of a good bb, besides Bruce Lee was not a black belt and he still Gets reconized.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL G95 (LTNS by the way ... How are ya? :) ). I too believe that a home study course is a joke. I mean, it does make it easier to have a live person to train with, but I think the home study thing is just for reference, nothing more. I train at a real dojang (testing for BB in the fall) and I'm having a heck of a time with it. So I can just picture how hard it is learning from a video. Just my humble opinion, though ;)

Laurie F

In the end what is the differance where you get your black belt, if the result is the same? I train in a real dojo to, my back yard, its free. I also train at the loacl club house with REAL BLACK BELTS, its not a real dojang but the training is real.

shotokanwarrior, you doing ok, i bet you if you test in any dojo you can pass their test, your situation is different from somebody who knows nothing and buy a series of videos like "karate for idiots", in fact you practice in a private class, as long as there is somebody who can correct your katas and somebody who can help you with wazas ,you are good to go, in a dojo you mimic your sensei first then he also corrects you but at home you can try to mimic but nobody is there to correct you this the down part, Good luck man.

you'll be decent with the techniques, and much better off than studying at a mcdojo thanks to your previous experiences, despite the fact that the equipment available at those locations are decent. however, don't expect to get anything more than a smirk and a shaking of th head from those serious about the MAs. don't bother considering yourself a black belt.

my question is: why bother asking for an answer you (should) know already?

some home courses aren't all that bad...it all depends upon the testing structure...if all you have to do is 'learn' the material on the honor system, then I wouldn't give it another thought, but for example, the IKCA in California has a video course that you have to send in your tests and yes, you will fail if you suck. The testing requirements are very strict. It isn't designed as a home course, but as a course of study for people who don't have access to the system where they live.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

I can't see the point to be honest. I do supliment my training with work at home but I can't see how it could be that you'd learn from doing a course at home. If it was preperation for a grading then fine, but the question I would pose to you would be what do you get at the end of the course... and who tests you?

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

The final test is done via video tape or in person, the 4th dan I work out with was my shotokan instructur, I did learn the 5 heian katas from him, even though the katas in the home study cours are not required, the shotokan guys still want me to learn them and bring it into our trainig sessions, so I am getting graded two ways. I will not get a shotokan belt from them because its not a formal class but they will honor my bb from another system if they feel that I am up to par.

Sorry, still not convinced.

Black belts are awared, in fact all grades are awared on merit and technique. A Sensei will judge the person and their karate not just their karate. I can't see a home study course being recognised in my dojo have to say.

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.