• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To wear a face mask or not...

Should I wear a face cage?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should I wear a face cage?

• Yes
    • No

exactly wearing a helmet is a good idea that way you two can hit each other in the face all you want..........and plus were all human here its not like we can take getting hit in the temple 50 times easily you lose lots of brian cells so yea w/e just my opinion.......

then again i dont see the point in wearing them chest guards, punching gloves, or feet pads but helmets are a good diea for your life safty

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd do what my instructor told me to do. I personally feel that wearing headgear encourages lazy striking, and for the wearer to get hit in the head more. I am not your instructor, however, and i dont have the blueprint for your particular training regimen.

"What do you tell a guy with two black eyes?-nothing. Somebody's already told him. Twice."

No, it doesn't. There is a real easy way to test it though.... go to a boxing gym, put on headgear and get in the ring. Before the sparring match, be sure to tell them that headgear encourages lazy striking and promotes getting hit in the head more. Then, come back and tell us how it went.

Headgear is for safety. In grappling, you don't want to break your training partner's limbs, do you? No - which is why we tap out. If you train a "self defense" style, do you take full power shots at your partner's eyes, throat and groin, or do you pull them? If you pull them, doesn't that promote lazy striking?

i dont have a strong point about the face mask,(no offence) but I do know your instructor should know how to control even through instinc. Maybe a face mask should be worn,

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• 2 months later...

thank you for all you replys i will wear the face mask

if you p.m. me your e-mail address i can send you photos

of me in my head gear.

thanks again

keep up the good help from matt blake

• 3 weeks later...

A face mask?! That's not going to teach you to block your face. It sounds to me like a crutch for both you and your instructor. I don't care how "hard" a student fights, an advanced rank ought to have enough control not to punch you in the face. Once, maybe. Definitely not twice.

But I guess if you had a face mask your instructor can be as uncontrolled as he wants to be and he won't hurt your face. Meanwhile, you don't learn to block the face because you don't have to.

And head gear is not the same thing as a face mask. Head gear can prevent serious injury to the brain - it doesn't stop a good hard ridge hand or back fist from rattling your head. If it does you're not hitting hard enough!

• 1 month later...