• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To wear a face mask or not...

Should I wear a face cage?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should I wear a face cage?

• Yes
    • No

I was sparring Friday night and got popped in the nose twice by my instructor. Not bad enough to bleed, but I wasn't bruising was enough that I was breathing through my mouth this weekend. My instructor wants me to get a face mask. I don't want to wear one.

Since it's point sparring, the first hit counts. I've been taking some body shots, so I've dropped my guard. The good news is that the body shots are being blocked. I know this is a bad habit because I'm using a sparring rule to pick up a bad technique. Face contact is not allowed at my level, but the sides and back of the head are valid targets.

I get a little upset because my instructor should have the control to know not to punch me in the nose. As he was apologizing, he claims that I come in harder and faster than anyone he has sparred before, and instinct kicks in.

His argument: It's safer, and I would prefer that you wear one. Accidents happen. It's for your own safety. Until you learn to protect your face, you should wear it.

My arguments: If I would cover better, that wouldn't happen. If I ever have to defend myself outside this dojo, my attacker will not consider the face off limits. If I wear one, I will rely on equipment to do something I should be doing myself. I should use this safe environment as an opportunity to improve.

Ego aside, I think we're both right. Could someone please tell me who's more right?

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your sensei was right, you should wear a mask. To prevent further injuries, it is a good idea. He shouldn't have to pull back. Plus, he's only looking out for your safety. If you got popped, you should have covered...sport or not. Mine pops me once in a bit, but then I figure out how to cover/counter.

would I wear a facemask??? no. I pay good money to get hit. In our line of work, it's expected. If I take a lump or two, so be it. But again, I also get a few in on my instructor. I cut his forehead one night and he just wiped it and said "Hmm, you're getting better!"

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

I wouldn't wear one - for the reason you stated - you won't have on in the street, and it's not off limits. I think that wearing head gear is common sense, but I think a facemask is over doing it.

i been thank on getting the cage or face mask

headgear

i am not 100% feeling good about it

it makes me feel out of place most of them are better then me.

and i have taken some blows to head and noise

i am only yellow belt with green tip

so i am wounder if i should wear the cage or face mask

like you,,, but i not sure which one from matt blake

i vote yes

no, you shouldn't have to worry about being hit in the nose if it is off limits. You are right that your instructor should have enough control to not hit you. On the other hand it is a practice situation so... Instead of learning to rely on it as a crutch so to speak, just use it so that you can breath after your workouts. If it is a mostly standard piece of equipment in your school you should probably get one. I still think your instructors excuse is pretty weak though.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

I don't agree with your instructors line of reasoning, but if he really truly wants you to wear a face mask then I'd respect his wishes, even though you don't agree with him. Personally, I think that he should show more control when sparring you - after all, he is the teacher and the one with the experience.

Do others in your school wear headgear/facemasks? If so, then at least you won't look out of place and be the only one wearing one.

Personally, I don't like wearing head gear and face masks - I think that it can teach bad habits, rather than help to cure a poor guard.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Personally, I don't like wearing head gear and face masks - I think that it can teach bad habits, rather than help to cure a poor guard.

I disagree. years of full contact sparring, ring fighting, etc. have taught me the headgear is a Godsend. I do agree on face makske - I think that those are overkill, but headgear is great. I fail to see why you say it can teach bad habits.

jarrettmeyer:

I suggest you do because your instructor wants you to. Mine doesn't necessarily ask for one, but some of our students wear them. I prefer not to so I can learn from it better. Now if I were in an escrima sparring match, you better believe I have a mask on. :brow:

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

• 4 weeks later...

Mike's right if your instructors asked that you wear one then he obviously has his reasons.

First put yourself in his shoes, if you were popping students in the face you'd encourage them to wear one incase they got hurt.

I agree you won't have one on the street but taking head shots too much in class is not smart. We're mostly amateurs guys and need to look presentable in our day to day lives.

I'm a primary school teacher and leading up to parents evng's i will be wearing a face guard for 2 weeks before!

Just have to sit and look at the big picture. Is taking 20 face shots a week worth it so you can mantain a tough man image?

No right or wrong answer just opinions! Well that is in my opinion! :)

"sweat is the essential element. The sea in which the martial artists are born and through which they swim"