• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt hierarchy

Hi guys,

Well, I've just had my first training session after I think nearly 10 years, and it was very exhilarating, and quite tough!

I used to be a 1st Kyu as I said, and the instructor said to come as a purple belt and then be assessed at the end of the year. That's a different hierarchy to my old club (we used embroidered stripes on our belts, two each on red, green and brown) and I am not sure where purple fits in in the hierarchy of this club. It's Higashi so it's Wado (my old style) in essence, can anyone tell me what Kyu grade a purple belt is? Obviously I will ask at my next training session on Thursday but it would be handy to know in advance!

Beaker

PS If someone could give me the full belt heirarchy that would be useful - I know this differs from club to club of course - at my new place, I don't think they have bluebelts, just yellow, orange, purple, brown? Actually perhaps they do have blue? I must sound so stupid - d'oh! Can someone please fill in the gaps?

[ This Message was edited by: beaker on 2002-02-18 15:15 ]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sounds like you've found a very understanding club - you'd be starting at white belt in my club :smile: You may well progess throught he grades rather quickly but you wouls start at the bottom like everyone else.

All start at the bottom - otherwise the top becomes the bottom :grin:

YODA

2nd Degree Black Belt : Doce Pares Eskrima https://www.docepares.co.uk

Qualified Instructor : JKD Concepts https://www.jkdc.co.uk

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

Yeah, I was quite pleased. I have a letter from my old club and stuff. I think part of the reason I have come in at this level is that they only hold gradings twice a year, so it would have taken ages to get back to whereI was.

I am very grateful! Lots of work to do now but I'm very up for that.

:smile:

I am a purple belt in Okinawan Shuri Ryu karate and for us purple belt is 4th kyu because we have 3 degrees of brown.

white=10th kyu

orange=9th kyu

gold=8th kyu

yellow=7th kyu

blue=6th kyu

green=5th kyu

purple=4th kyu

brown=3rd-1st kyu

black=1st-10th dan

that is our belt ranking system. :up:

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

Different clubs in the same style can sometimes have different ranking systems. It would be best to find the structure for the club you are training in.

Not at all a stupid question. There is an amazing number of ranking systems out there.