• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any other girls like this- or just me?

Thanks for all your replies! Now that the classes are getting much harder and it takes more willpower and endurance to keep up with the classes, a certain "weeding out" process has begun. Atleast 3 or 4 girls and about 5 boys have left because of this. Seriously, if they weren't so busy joking around...

Usually though, people leave after the first or second trial class, because they realize it isn't as easy as it looks.

You will see the attrition all thoughout your training. After the initial dropping out in the first or second ranks I think the biggest attrition occured about 5th kyu then again at the 1st and 2nd kyu levels.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would suck for you to train where i do....i do BJJ and its grappling...lol. The gaurd position looks really sexual lol. Actually i grappled with one of the girls there for a long time...she was a purple belt and i was still white belt and she tapped me out like every time...i wouldnt try to pass her gaurd because i really liked being there lol.

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master

I partner with blokes pretty much all the time. My dojo splits classes into juniors, teens and adults, so the youngest kid I will meet is about 15/16ish. I prefer to partner my mates though, and they are big built men, with about a foot on me in height. They hit me hard, and they know if they don't take me seriously I will return the favour. When sparring with someone like that it really teaches you to avoid getting hit!! If I do get partnered with one of the younger kids I work on different aspects. They are often a lot whippier, so I get to work on speed etc. They also take me seriously because they know that if they don't they may get hurt, or more likely embarrassed.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Generally in my dojo my sensei put the girls with the girls for sparring and guys with guys. He didn't want the girls getting hit somewhere inappropriate by a guy who wasn't trying to hurt them.

To tell you the truth, in all my sparring (about 4 years worth), I've never once gotten hit in the chest. All the guys/girls avoid that area like the plague -- or the groin. LOL. It seems funny that I've never even been hit there by accident..... I've got a hunch why though.. although it's probably not appropriate to state here... :P lol. :lol:

It would suck for you to train where i do....i do BJJ and its grappling...lol. The gaurd position looks really sexual lol. Actually i grappled with one of the girls there for a long time...she was a purple belt and i was still white belt and she tapped me out like every time...i wouldnt try to pass her gaurd because i really liked being there lol.

:lol: We do grappling too; I make it a point to avoid the girls b/c they suck at it. Most of the time when I'm sitting on them they just lie there and say "Ok you win," even though we haven't started grappling yet. Guard position, eh? There's a (LOL :lol: ) "mount" position we do. Haha. I know some people who consider it wrong to grapple w/ guys because they're taking advantage of the girl (if not actively, then at least passively by just enjoying being where he is), but I think it's a necessary part of MAs. I mean, for girls anyways, most real self defense situation WILL include ground work, so why not practice it? I know the ends don't justify the means, but come on.. it's better to let some dude enjoy it a tiny bit of it than let another dude enjoy all of it.

DORKS HAVE MORE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Savvy?

we'll grapple some time lol....but only gaurd and mount.

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master

I once took a grappling class for females. The upper rank guys would have to take it to be our attackers. Rules were no bitting and no eye gouging, so u could hit, kick, use pressure points and holds, etc. Guys werent allowed to do much though, it was more of us learning to escape. I loved that class because we got to beat up on them, and go full out as well. As a 15 year old, i also was set to be the attacker against the younger females. Got my arms scratched up pretty good from one of them :P. Its too bad i moved to another state, i learned a lot in that class.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Are there any girls on here that are serious about MA and have been in a similar situation? How did you handle it? Of course guys can post too if they have advice.

I have always approached my training in a serious way, and was disappointed somewhat with girls (and guys too, for that matter) that came to class and barely participated - just did the bare minimum with each task they were given.

The good news is, most of them didn't train for long - at least not with that attitude. If the instructor was onto them, and had high enough standards that they wouldn't take that kind of behaviour, they named the person and drew attention to them and their efforts. Not necessarily in a humiliating way, but enough to get the point across we were at class to work hard. I've also seen (and sent, when I was teaching) people to the side of the class if they were disruptive and clearly not there to learn. Another thing they could do is choose the person's partner, so you don't end up with two lazy chatters giggling at each other instead of practicing.

As for the suggestive nature of grappling (referred to in some recent posts: I love grappling with guys, but never think about the matches in any way other than how fun it was to fight. I don't give up easily, either.

Grappling isn't for everyone, but I personally think avoiding it altogether is a mistake; the more tools you can use to fight off an attacker, the better off you'll be.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

The problem is that some say "I can't hit you!"

Look at them and say "Well, you'd better learn, because I'm going to hit you!"

Once they get used to the fact that you are willing to stand in and take just as much as you dish out, they'll get into the swing of things.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Or just beat them into a pile of mush and laugh maniacally..... oh, i mean ask them to try harder....

We dont do much grappling and most of our sparring (sport) work is ranged cos we do ITF tkd - so its a lot of kicking [no grabs] and guys and girls get paired up just as regularly as any other combination.

Whenever we do self defense we try and use the bigger people as the attackers and they tend to be guys, but thats really it

It seems like all the other girls in my class goof off and don't break a sweat. They're all near my age (14) , size, and rank, but when we spar I hold back a lot and they still whine that it hurts. They can't punch or kick without breaking into a fit of giggles. I prefer to spar with the teenage guys but sometimes they get a little rough- either that or say,"I can't hit a girl". The men I definitely can't spar with due to the fact that even if they hold back it's really painful- and the Master doesn't usually allow it.

I just feel so awkward around these other girls- they wanna flirt and joke around and I don't even know why they come. Then when I get an award or recognition from a teacher for doing a good job they wonder why no one compliments them- not for long, they soon begin gossipping again.

Are there any girls on here that are serious about MA and have been in a similar situation? How did you handle it? Of course guys can post too if they have advice.

Thanks in advance.

ya im 16, and i see this everywere... Im gym for example we played soccer, one or two girls were really into it and kicked some boy *, the rest stood in a circle and giggled.

just the way they were raised, id say tought it out till somone else joins, or find a new dojo. Its a waste of time to fight giggling teenagers haha :D

maybe you have an agressive female friend that you could get to join?