• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any other girls like this- or just me?

It seems like all the other girls in my class goof off and don't break a sweat. They're all near my age (14) , size, and rank, but when we spar I hold back a lot and they still whine that it hurts. They can't punch or kick without breaking into a fit of giggles. I prefer to spar with the teenage guys but sometimes they get a little rough- either that or say,"I can't hit a girl". The men I definitely can't spar with due to the fact that even if they hold back it's really painful- and the Master doesn't usually allow it.

I just feel so awkward around these other girls- they wanna flirt and joke around and I don't even know why they come. Then when I get an award or recognition from a teacher for doing a good job they wonder why no one compliments them- not for long, they soon begin gossipping again.

Are there any girls on here that are serious about MA and have been in a similar situation? How did you handle it? Of course guys can post too if they have advice.

Thanks in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

elila,

I would advise you to keep up the good work and not to worry about what the other girls in the class are doing. Your focus and dedication will pay off in big dividends in the long run. Mabey these other girls will see the benefits of working hard and will follow your good example. Don't worry about them. Keep doing what is right.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

It simply seems as if you take it a little more seriously than your peers. Sometimes you need a little more than a good school to be a good fighter- you need good training partners as well. If you're unable to find them at your current school, I would suggest trying to find another that has the type of sparring partners you're looking for (this does not mean you've got to quit your own school).

I see the same situation with people I train with at my gym. Some people take it more seriously than others, while some simply want a workout or a hobby- nothing more. The intensity with which I train depends on who it is Im training with, but fortunately theres enough people at my gym who share common training ideals.

Yeah, I have the same problem. There's only one girl in my class, and she never tries hard, not only during sparring but during the whole class. She doesn't complain about me hitting hard during sparring because I don't hit hard (we don't do full-contact). But she never hits back and is basically just a my personal moving punching bag. Yeah, and then I get called a teacher's pet by everybody.... argh. I only enjoy sparring with black belts and the other men in class. They're the best. :D

DORKS HAVE MORE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Savvy?

Been there too! My advice is to be true to yourself and continue to practice high quality martial arts as you cannot make other people accountable period. Be patient and your sensei will notice your effort. As far as teenage boys go...sparring with them will only make you better-especially when it gets rough. Hit or be hit!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Thanks for all your replies. My biggest problem is finding someone I can spar with. I'm fine with forms or kicks but self-defense you have to pair up.

"As far as teenage boys go...sparring with them will only make you better-especially when it gets rough. Hit or be hit! "

The problem is that some say "I can't hit you!"

When I do spar with them it does seem to be more difficult and challenging- which is good. If someone's going to attack me it'll probably be a guy anyway. The girl I usually work with is not so much of a giggler but a whiner - one of those students that sits out about 3 times per class...

*shrugs* As far as i'm concerned, if they say "I can't hit you!", hit them until they change their mind. However, some teachers might frown at this. (I wouldn't; I consider refusal to engage with another student in training, where they are trying to learn and need to be engaged, to be VERY disrespectful, and when i'm teaching, I don't allow it.)

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Yea, I've beent here too! Problem as I see it is that many of the girls probably don't want to face you as you're over powering them. I wouldn't worry though, keep sparring the guys and work on speed and timing. If you have to face the other girls help them along and see if they improve

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.