• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yoga and karate ?

kotegashiNeo

I know that chojun miyagi saw the benefits of yoga as did jigoro kano as they both made sun salutation as part of thier jubei undo conditioning without implements. Yoga creates incredibly strong core muscle which ask any ufc fighter is incredibly

important but you haven't done so you wouldn't know. Try the ashtanga series and tell me if you still think it is useless

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have seen of my mothers Hatha Yoga, they do fixed positions that remain still or they move very slowly.

Yoga (Hatha) is about flexibility with some strength exercises based on body weight.

However, in my opinion, and dont misunderstand this, for my needs, I need exercise that is aerobic and anaerobic that matches what is needed under the heat of actual combat. Personally I dont see that in what I have seen from Hatha Yoga.

In combat the muscles move very fast (fast twitch muscle fibre) and the lunges work flat out thus needing aerobic and mainly anaerobic capability. I dont see that type of training "goal end" in Hatha Yoga and thats why I dont personally practise.

I am not saying others cant derive benefit from it, I am saying I dont see benefits for me.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

• 7 months later...

I have absolutely no experience in Karate (which I plan to remedy), but I took a class in Ashtanga Yoga (I had to quit because my teacher quit, and her successor was a total failure). Yoga, like Karate, has many variations, and it is not right to generalise saying that it is all about "relaxation". In Ashtanga Yoga, many postures include strength building and the intensity can (according to my teacher, ought to) climax to the point where one just cannot take it any more. Luckily, in my class, most of the people were beginners creating a mess with constant interruptions - nice coverage :D

Do NOT peform Yoga within 12 hours of a tough training session. Yoga is all about 'loosening' things up. Loosen up your back or hamstrings (for example) before sparing and you will earn yourself a slipped disk or a pulled/torn hamstring.

Remember: there is a difference between stretching to prepare your muscles/tissue for vigorous exercise and 'loosening' up for all round flexibility. Yoga is about 'relax into stretch'. This is to be very much avoided before vigorous exercise.

-V-

I've experimented with various stretching methods over the years including yoga. I found it very benificial, but I can see some sense in what your saying. Where did you learn this?

I'm interested in finding out more about this theory.

What sort of stretching would you do as a warm up?

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

I'm really glad you all posted this. I was thinking of starting yoga on my off days this coming semester, but wasn't sure if it would somehow hinder my performance in karate. I have a lingering knee injury so I can't do a whole lot of vigorous aerobic stuf. Except swimming, which I will try to do in January as well. Thanks for bringing up the subject and offering so many opinions. It seems to me the stretching would be very helpful as would the focus on mind/body conncetion, the core strengthening and balance. That's why I'm going to do it. I could use a little help in all those areas so hopefully yoga will be a step in the right direction.

Im glad you decided to take the classes.

IMHO, yoga will help with everything from releasing muscular, emotional and mental tension, to building strong determination and will power. Perhaps even more-so than martial arts, as practitioners of yoga tend to humble themselves (focus inward instead of outward), as opposed to building ego as so many MAist's tend to get caught up in.

I hope you enjoy the classes and find reason to practice yoga regularly. It will definantly help with injuries, and will in fact, help to build a body more resilliant to injury and disease. It will also build extremely defined pure-function muscle on ones body.

From my experience taking yoga, serious practitioners usually live through and past their 90's, quite happily, healthily and self-sufficiently.

Good Luck.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

This guy teaches both yoga and karate

http://www.artofzenyoga.com/

It looks like he's pretty good at both.

I know a few other people who do both and it seems like it can work out great.

I also heard on the radio the other day that yoga is probably better than anything else for a bad back. Better than regular stretching due to the way you work the mind as you're working the body, I guess.

I think karate and aikido are very good together. Yoga is good for stretching and relaxing but it isn't a martial art. Tai chi is one step closer to a 'real' MA but aikido is a good fit with karate esp when you look at some of the kata apps. I don't think there are many yoga apps in the kata! lol