• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yoga and karate ?

kotegashiNeo

I have recently started doing yoga and I have found big improvements in my karate especially because how much stress is placed on posture and breathing and I was wondering if anyone else supersts there karate with a little bit of yoga

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never done yoga ,it is some thing i like to do but i think you are right ,it will improve your well being including your karate .

never give up !

I did yoga stretches before I started karate. My sensei incorporates some into our warmups, and I also do my own at home. I love accenting my karate with it. I find that meditation also helps.

I find yoga helpful for martial arts for two reasons.

1. Helps one balance (mentally/physically/spiritually).

2. Increases flexibility.

I have been replacing some of my pre-class warmup with yoga and meditation.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

I think it would depend on the style of your Karate. To perform 'soft stretching' movement before 'hard/full contact' kumite is definately to be advised against. That said, as an additional excercise with a view to achieving improved flexibility - it's perfect.

One tip (trust me - it will steer you clear of many injuries:

Do NOT peform Yoga within 12 hours of a tough training session. Yoga is all about 'loosening' things up. Loosen up your back or hamstrings (for example) before sparing and you will earn yourself a slipped disk or a pulled/torn hamstring.

Remember: there is a difference between stretching to prepare your muscles/tissue for vigorous exercise and 'loosening' up for all round flexibility. Yoga is about 'relax into stretch'. This is to be very much avoided before vigorous exercise.

-V-

[[edited spelling only: 'Yogo' just didn't look right! :D ]]

Edited by Venrix

More than 200 pictures of Kyokushin technique.

Kata outlined step by step.

https://www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)

Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)

I practice yoga and karate, not instantainiously of course.....

One thing i noticed when i started Kyokushin is that a majority of the stretches are similar to yoga stretches, but with a different level of muscular tension.

Yoga is excellent exersize for off-training-days, when you still want exersize, without the complete physical exertion of practicing karate.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

My mother has been involved in and teaching Hatha Yoga for 50 years.

I personally dont practise it myself.

The only cross training I do is running, weights, plyometric exercises, and the odd game of squash now and again.

I dont see any benefits from yoga myself. I prefer aerobic and anaerobic exerise

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing