• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Did UFC change the way of looking at trad KungFu and Karate?

not really... I find it funny how a lot of people say that though. while it is hard work, it has nothing to do with what the west knows as kung fu. If I'm not mistaken, they don't use that term as much in china - chuan fa - fist art - is more prevalent.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Im a big UFC fan, I think it has made Kung fu look ineffective to many people but how often do you catch someone in the UFC blocking a punch? Most of them block the same as boxers, which IMHO isnt as effective as a good kenpo/wing chun/hung gar etc. block. I think with the right training a kung fu practitioner would do just as well as any other. Just be prepared to defend against all aspects of the game. :D

There is no teacher but the enemy.

Im a big UFC fan, I think it has made Kung fu look ineffective to many people but how often do you catch someone in the UFC blocking a punch? Most of them block the same as boxers, which IMHO isnt as effective as a good kenpo/wing chun/hung gar etc. block. I think with the right training a kung fu practitioner would do just as well as any other. Just be prepared to defend against all aspects of the game. :D

that' depends on who you ask and what their personal style of fighting is. Look at a boxer - he doesn't have to block all the time. Why not? because he moves. His evasion IS his block. Like mr miyagi said "best defense, no be there" - cliche, sure, but he was absolutely right. When you are merely blocking, you are bound to get hit eventually. At least while you are moving you are not only evading, you are rolling with the punch if you do get hit, lessening the blow, and you are possibly setting yourself up for the next strike. IMO, what we do is better from a defensive standpoint than what you are referring to. Even in my longfist days, I thought that way.

That said, you are correct. A kung fu guy who trains ground work (cross training) and uses PROPER TRAINING METHODS (that's the big one) could do well in MMA.

that' depends on who you ask and what their personal style of fighting is. Look at a boxer - he doesn't have to block all the time. Why not? because he moves. His evasion IS his block. Like mr miyagi said "best defense, no be there" - cliche, sure, but he was absolutely right. When you are merely blocking, you are bound to get hit eventually. At least while you are moving you are not only evading, you are rolling with the punch if you do get hit, lessening the blow, and you are possibly setting yourself up for the next strike. IMO, what we do is better from a defensive standpoint than what you are referring to. Even in my longfist days, I thought that way.

That said, you are correct. A kung fu guy who trains ground work (cross training) and uses PROPER TRAINING METHODS (that's the big one) could do well in MMA.

Im not really saying just stand there and block, you gotta throw some counter punches. Sure you'll get hit sometime and I totally agree the rolling with the punches theory, but I think a good range of blocking techniques would prove very useful if you properly train. The only person Ive see blocking in the octagon is Frank Mir and he is the heavyweight champion

There is no teacher but the enemy.

i really enjoy my kung fu class but have never met a kung fu fighter who trains hard enough to be good at sport fighting you may disagree with me but in some cases i just think that kung fu is just too soft.

Fist visible Strike invisible

Harder training is just a higher risk for the instructors. I think people are just plain lazy. They will go through the karate or kung classes and thats fine they will learn to defend against some one who doesn't know much I guess but any thing beyond that and IMO they are going to be trouble.

also goes to student retention most students don't want to do that type of training. Either fear of getting hurt or works out look to hard or rough to them. So they are lazy. Which is fine to each is there own. But if instructor pushes that he will loose his current student base.