• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Did UFC change the way of looking at trad KungFu and Karate?

I believe that your definition of Wing Chun is VERY different from the Wing Chun that I practise.

Is this Cheung Lineage Wing Chun? Because I used to train it under Master John Clayton (Maryland) and both he and GM Cheung both advocated competing in tournaments, and they are also of the opinion that if you are truly good, you can interrupt your movements enough to tailor your fighting to the environment at hand.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the guys I know. Besides you are right about altering their "Game".

not their game, their training. adding sparring, roadwork, groundwork, etc. Their game can remain the same.

Sevenstar,

I believe that we are entering the realm of opinions here. However, as far has hitting the temple example is concerned what I am trying to get across is hitting someone on the temple is more likely to have leathal consequences than hitting him in the jaw. If my training is aimed at hitting the temple (and other such targets) then it is consequently absorbed by my muscle memory/subconscious then I do not see any reason to add what I consider to be an irrelevant dimension to my training when I can use the time and effort to better and improve everything else that I need to learn and absorbe in Wing Chun.

I would doubt your chances of killing anyone with a strike to the temple. it CAN happen, but how likely is it, which is pretty much what I am getting at. you are trying to hit a little spot on a resisting, moving target. I am doing the same. If either land, the fight may end. If you miss my temple, the blow may or may not be enough to still knock me out. My punch to your jaw may miss its mark, but has a better chance of still rattling your brain and causing a KO. Either way though, it's a game of chances.

I believe that your definition of Wing Chun is VERY different from the Wing Chun that I practise.

please, don't hesitate to clarify. What is your definition, and what all do you do that is not allowed in any fighting venue?

Interesting. O.K.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I think UFc did change the way people look at Kung Fu and other TMA styles. I think this is true because the original UFC was designed to bring together fighters from all different styles to compete in a no holds barred fight to see which style worked the best in a street fight situation. In the original UFC's Royce Gracie (represented brazilian jiu jitsu)won the first 4 tournaments. He beat every other style put in front of him...and after UFC became popular...people started to realize that alot of fights end up on the ground...and not alot of TMA styles teach you how to deal wit hthat type of situation. So yeah people started to doubt the practical uses of kung fu and other TMA's in street fight situations.

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master

Also, UFC helps you get live resistance to test skills (albeit not lethal, but still you get experience working what you can) whereas most TMAs you need alternative training methods to practice the "deadlier" techniques so you don't hurt your partners.

That's true but UFC also made TMA's realize that many of TMA systems often don't train for all ranges of fighting, and also that most of the oldl training methods like forms, one steps often aren't as effective for full contact anymore unlike bag training, focus mitts, etc.

I believe that all major TMA sytems train for real fighting unless they are practised in a Mc Dojo.

Most of the old training methods such as forms and one steps were trained as a part of the whole system to prepare one for real combat.

What the UFC's have achieved is to show the damage that has been done to TMA's by commercialization, where so many so called experts/masters etc. having opened mediocre MA schools (Mcdojos - from the worst to the best in the range) had gone on to create a generation of "traditionalists" who could not fight their way out of a paper bag, let alone NHB events.

There seems to be the notion that the only way to be a good fighter is for one to cross train and use "modern" training methods.

Some of the "traditionalists" have bought into this as well. It is not uncommon to see some of them bouncing around during combat and perhaps even attempting to use striking techniques that were designed for different types of stances/foot work, ie. the none bouncing variety.

Not so long ago I saw a video clip of "kung fu expert" who represented the Shaolin Five Animal style getting his butt kicked by one of the Gracies. He had no kung fu stances as he was bouncing like a boxer/TKD stylist. There did not seem to be anything that looked remotely like kung fu, specially the Five Animales system, not unless they have added the Kangaroo technique of bouncing yourself to oblivion, without my knowledge.

Of course what people see is "kung fu man defeated by Mr Gracie". Their conclusion? All those traditional training methods and forms don't actually work.

Wrong conclusion.

They don't "work" because:

1. More often than not they are taught by instructors who at best are mediocre, resulting in their students barely scratching the surface of the arts they are meant to be practising.

2. Many times they are studied by students who do not have the patience nor the desire to commit the many years necessary to master or at least become proficient in these arts. So what do they do? They leave these arts having hardly learned and understood the basics. they dable in other systems which may result in them becoming competent fighters but not competente traditional martial artists, because when they fight they are not using TMAs, what they are using is sometimes a hybrid of their own making.

This only becomes a problem when these "traditionalists" decide to represent themselves as REAL traditionalists hence giving the wrong idea to Joe the public or even other martial artists, of what TMAs are all about.

Suffice to say that this type of "Traditionalists" help the comic arts more than the real traditional martial arts....and that is very unfortunate.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

I think you are tarnishing Royce's achievements.

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master