• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right Shotokan is not known for grappling, but it does have grappling techniques. They are mainly "hidden" inside the katas. As one advances through this style he or she will come across these techniques.

Of course all this depends wether one studies with a sensei who knows his stuff and who teaches this art in all of its dimensions.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

im sure it has grappling techniques...but in my opinion they arent substantial enough against a wrestler or bjj fighter or even a sambo fighter...thats not to say you wouldnt beat them standing.

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master

im sure it has grappling techniques...but in my opinion they arent substantial enough against a wrestler or bjj fighter or even a sambo fighter...thats not to say you wouldnt beat them standing.

Agreed. What the Shotokan stylist lacks in grappling he should be able to compensate for in firepower.

However, Shotokan karate, as well as other traditional karate styles, have more grappling techniques than they are given credit for. The problem, as always, is the amount of mediocre schools out there who claim to be teaching traditional karate (as well as kung fu).

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

• 4 months later...

If you are using WC against a boxer or any other form of pugilism, it is best to keep it simple and remeber the principles that you learned. Gaurd the center, watch the leading elbow and/or knees, and if you use your chain punching, do not just throw them out there, be patient, set up the punches with pak sao or other technique and choose your timing--which by the way works best against a boxer because they have a tendency to punch and move in almost 2 step rhythms and the off-timing of WC punches can often disrupt this beat before the opponent has time to recover. Be smart though, much like boxing, WC is a martial science, before it is an art form (my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect that of all WC fighters). If you are able, study your opponents fighting style before you fight him.

When fear is removed, the arrogance of uncertainty is dispelled and it is therefore no longer necessary to prove yourself in any form of combat. By learning how to fight, you learn how not to fight.

jabs are one of the fastest martial arts techniques and so is wing chun's cheung choi. remember that everything is forward energy. pak da which becomes cheung choi works just as well as tan da. jaat da is also good against uppercuts. remember that technique from the jong that can lift and push an opponent really far? that technique is everyone's nightmare.

I would not suggest chain punching, but I would suggest picking a moment to pull him off balance by the wrist or arm. It also depends on rules (if any) and if your wearing boxing gloves then this wouldnt work. Be weary of his bobing and weaving and try to get inside. Thats what wing chun is about after all is close quarter combat and evasive manuvers so try to dictate the pace. and keep him off balance with good position.

There is no teacher but the enemy.

Agreed. What the Shotokan stylist lacks in grappling he should be able to compensate for in firepower.

However, Shotokan karate, as well as other traditional karate styles, have more grappling techniques than they are given credit for. The problem, as always, is the amount of mediocre schools out there who claim to be teaching traditional karate (as well as kung fu).

Shotokan does indeed have some grappling, but traditional Okinawan karate has a lot more (in general). The art I practice is at least 40% grappling/locking/throwing for example. And very little of it is "hidden".

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

any good ideas how wing chun can be used against a good boxer, one that has good combos, footwork and ducking/slipping? no kicking below the waist.

No suggestion.

But you should be very careful about Right Hook.

(Of course, good boxer would not throw single punch but combo just

you mentioned)

And if the glove is over 4oz. (I think usually 8 oz or more)

Padding, Chin-na and conservative punch for Wing Chun would be

affected. Anyway, good to spar with them to see what happen :)

Tell us more after you spar, Thx

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness