• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question do you WT/WC? or not? Because "Ive done chainpunching before" doesn't soundvery right. Chainpunching isn't something you can learn in 10 minutes.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the style of kf I trained in had a lot of wing chun influence because my sifu taught wc as well.

I'm not saying it can't work, but a huge part of boxing is slipping or bobbing and weaving off the line of attack and countering from angles. While wing chunners like to get inside, a lot of boxers like to work from the outside.

I mean you don't need to go to tansau or bonsau when you make contact, only do it when you fight another WT practioner. + Something important your goal is to hit, not trap him, first hit and keep hitting, if you can trap him it's good, but don't seek for it, just hit him.

Somebody mentioned that he would throw combos, any fighter should throw combos, 1 attack and retreat is stupid.

not necessarily - it depends on what you are trying to achieve. If I know you like to fight inside, I'm not gonna throw long combinations - because that gives you time to get close to me. instead of slugging it out with you, I'm going to box you - stay outside, using mainly my jab. when I see the opportunity, throw the jab and follow with a cross - then disengage and jab again, unless the cross stunned you.

From my experience most boxers do throw long combos and as Seven said in his post that is when I press my advantage . Using quick footwork to get close and on a good angle for attack . Until I see my opening I typically mirror a boxer and wait for a opportunity . My style utlizes quick footwork which more often than not gives me good angles of attack .

If I can I am most certainly not opposed to getting close and using a throw or take down as I find hitting my opponent with the ground is VERY effective . :D

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.

I said I would make some videos, but I tried this weekend and my WT isn't good enough to end the fight quickly. So more training:)

WC against boxing? Good luck man, your only hope is getting him up against the ropes (or cage or wall or whatever) and getting inside his hands quickly, maybe, if you're good enough at it, you can use some kicks to your advantage. I'd say learn some boxing.

any good ideas how wing chun can be used against a good boxer, one that has good combos, footwork and ducking/slipping? no kicking below the waist.

Why no kicking below the waist. Why does the WC guy have to fight with the boxer's rules?

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

this is why i train bjj...because basically any opponent i have faced that has had very good standup...like a really good boxer or muay thai fighter....i just shoot for the legs and get them on the ground...they seem to be lost on the ground.

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master

oh yeah and shoto noone has to limit themself to a single style. Ussually in a fight you will realize you end up doing things that havent been tought to you...its not to say that boxer wont decide to just kick you in the groin or something like that....or he could decide to take you too the ground...or vice versa. The best thing for anyone is to read some Bruce Lee books...you will understand more about fighting. Its not about a style...its about combining everything you know and being able to adapt to any situation.

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master

Alternatively, you can stick to Shotokan and, if you are in a good school, you will see in time that what you are learning is not just about punching and kicking and that there are grappling techniques in your style as well as other surprising aspects.

You will also see that the final aim of Shotokan, not unlike many other TMAs, is to give you the ability to flow and adapt to any situation, that is, once you have gained the necessary expertise in this art.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".