• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate training vs. Boxing Training

AnonymousOne

Karate training vs. Boxing Training

This is not designed to say boxing is better than karate or that karate is better than boxing. That’s an individual thing. This is just a quick look at training methods.

Apart from my training, an interest I have is studying the various training methods of all kinds of sports. I am not the type of person that plays sports or even watches sports, but I am always interested in their training methods. You never know what you can pick up.

Lately I have been updating myself with the latest boxing training methods. Boxing of course is a multi million dollar enterprise and there is a lot of money for research into training methods and this is something Karate lacks, however Karate-Ka can draw many lessons from Boxing I feel.

This is what I have found recently:

1. That a boxer is not consider to have reached a basic level of fitness until he can run 4 miles every morning averaging 7 minutes per mile or less.

2. Once having reached this basic level of fitness, the boxer has then built the basic foundation to then perform plyometric and anaerobic development programmes.

3. Amateur boxers train twice daily, professional boxers train 3 times daily. Both are required to train 6 days per week.

4. Boxers are expected to rise early, usually at 5.30-6am to complete roadwork, which includes a 4 mile run, finishing off with sprinting and plyometric exercises for those that have built a basic level of fitness.

5. Boxers are expected to have a planned and personalised training schedule that they gradually but methodically build upon and add to. This is developed in conjunction with their coach.

6. Boxers are expected to progress at a pace that meets their exact body development reactions, but constantly working to the extreme of their physical and mental endurance.

7. Boxers do not attend a class and perform at the same level as every body else. They work at their own pace of progression constantly. But bare in mind they are working to maximum endurance and strength at all times.

8. Boxers generally work weights 2-3 times per week.

9. Boxers have a well rounded training programme and schedule to cover every facet of their needs. This includes aerobic and anaerobic endurance, strength, speed, power, agility, fighting skills through sparring and shadow boxing.

10. Boxers use a range of equipment including but not limited to weights, bags, mits, sand bags, sled hammers, agility ladders, medicine balls, etc

11. Boxers are very careful over their diet to ensure their bodies replace the nutrients burnt off through assiduous training.

This is just a short summation of the kind of organised training amateur and professional boxers complete 6 days per week.

As you can see its intense and well organised.

So the question is, should we as Karate-Ka borrow from our boxing brethren’s methods and instigate this type of training in our schools? Or should we leave the student to decide and organise that?

Remember also that in the past Karate training was very individualised and there were no organised classes, should we return to this type of format? (remember there may be many in a boxing gym, but training is still individualised).

Should karate training demand certain levels of fitness like boxing before certain progressive states are allowed?

Should karate have sessions specifically designed around the use of equipment? In my experience I have never seen a Karate school that has formal lessons on the use of equipment, should we?

Based on the short summation above, what is its strengths and weakness in your opinion and why?

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are amateur boxers out there, too. They have jobs, but still they train alot when not at work.

7. Boxers do not attend a class and perform at the same level as every body else. They work at their own pace of progression constantly. But bare in mind they are working to maximum endurance and strength at all times.

To my understanding, Chinese and Okinawan MA used to be like this. When the Japanese got ahold of MA, they structured the teaching, and it became an organized class.

So the question is, should we as Karate-Ka borrow from our boxing brethren’s methods and instigate this type of training in our schools? Or should we leave the student to decide and organise that?

If you say, "I'm a boxer," no one questions what you do. Look at boxers on TV, or go watch Rocky. What are the stories about? Training, training, training. Running, weights, heavy bags, medicine balls. Then train some more.

If you say, "I do karate," see this post. People think of knifehands, extended kiais, or shooting fireballs. Even my mother thought that karate was Satanistic. :roll: Public mentality plays a big roll in what karate is.

Demanding this level of training of all karateka? I don't know about that. I think that you have to become the type of martial artist that you want to be. Martial arts is great for everyone because martial arts will become what you want it to become. If you put that much of your blood and soul into it, you will reap huge dividends.

To require this level of training means to deny all practicioners who are looking for something less "hardcore". The idea that at some level, martial arts is for nearly everybody is amazing.

Edit: fixed typos.

Edited by jarrettmeyer

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

Demanding this level of training of all karateka? I don't know about that. I think that you have to become the type of martial artist that you want to be. Martial arts is great for everyone because martial arts will become what you want it to become. If you put that much of your blood and soul into it, you will reap huge dividends.

To require this level of training means to deny all practicioners who are looking for something less "hardcore". The idea that at some level, martial arts is for nearly everybody is amazing.

I don't think it's a bad thing. that is how all sport gyms are run. Not everybody at our school fights, but they will all train like they do. The things we don't cover in class, like roadwork, are optional, but you will do all of the padwork, calesthenics, bagwork and sparring.

I would love to have the time to do all that. I do train everyday and I average more than 2 hours... I also am trying to have a career...

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

it can happen - good time management. I go to either thai or judo every day, bjj when I can - class will be from 1.5 - 3 hours, depending on what I'm doing, and I put in an extra 30 - 60 mins on my own or with anyone who wants to stay and train after class. I am in the gym 5 days a week... I have a wife and child, and work full time. I still manage to spend time with my family and I train my son three nights a week.

I agree that you get what you put in. If I could train like this, or if there were a school that taught on a more individualized basis, I'd definitely check it out. I tend to learn things faster then most people in my school, which leaves me stuck at varying plateaus, waiting for the others to catch up.

Perhaps if a school ran normal classes, like those commonly taught now, and then a more intense class for those hardcore students that wanted to push their limits and see how far they could go, a compromise could be struck.

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War

Training like that is, IMO, a better way to develop discipline etc. than the commonly accepted ways in martial arts. What's harder, getting out of bed early every day for roadwork on your own or showing up in a clean uniform and doing what the instructor says?

There are other 'sport' training methods that I prefer to the more 'traditional' ones, but I'm guessing those arguments are pretty common and another one isn't necessary. :wink:

While those are the workouts of professional boxers- not everyone who wants to learn boxing has to do that. They do have to be in shape, of course, but training a few days a week is okay for those of us who simply can't do anymore. Still, you make excellent points a lot of karate guys should think about regarding conditioning.