• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A question

I wonder how it would be like to be a mother who was a serious martial arts fighter (bloodsport, ISKA, etc). Even though I am a man, I figure there would be some socal stigma attached to such a woman.

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not that i've seen, no, not from males anyways. Maybe the girls will thumb their noses, but that doesn't seem to take much. I've heard that just having a reasonable amount of muscle in the arms is enough to get treated badly - not like 'weightlifter amazon', like 'does pushups regularly and can lift weights big enough not to be left on the floor like a toy'.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I think the real issue is that men are afraid of such a woman, epecially if she is attractive. But yeah, your right Justice Zero.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I think that some people wouldn't like it, but there will always be objectors to anything. Plenty of people were opposed to women boxing (and some still are). I think that some men are threatened by that sort of woman, but on the whole the MA community can be pretty tolerant and she would most likely be accepted within it. A female ISKA/bloodsport/etc fighter would probably get more 'stick' outside of the MA community than within it.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I've also been told by one woman that when at the gym, she can't work on the heavy bag because she instantly gets swarmed with guys trying to chat her up. So I don't think that that's going to be terribly crippling. The guys I know don't generally care much for females who act incapable.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 4 weeks later...
I wonder how it would be like to be a mother who was a serious martial arts fighter (bloodsport, ISKA, etc). Even though I am a man, I figure there would be some socal stigma attached to such a woman.

I was once told this bit of advice.

"It's one thing to fear a Man with a sword, But its even deadlier to mess with a woman with two swords"

It is a lot to think about--not just about mothers, but women in general. Sometimes culture can become debilitating to individual potential. There are men who think female fighters are a joke, but what I find much worse are women who think the same way.

"Tigers are quiet and watch everything. They listen and watch. If you train as a tiger -- hard training and body conditioning -- you can always train with tigers. Other tigers will also recognize you and you can train in peace with them. They know who they are and they have nothing to prove. They are at peace." ~Tomoyose Ryuko, 9th dan Uechi Ryu

I wonder what it would be like to be a father who is a serious martial arts fighter? To me it is the same - other than the fact some men don't like to see women (especially pretty women) get beat up.

To me, the issues of being a parent and a serious martial arts fighter would be the fact the fighter would have to train almost every day - they'd live, eat, and breathe martial arts, do a lot of travelling to and from competitions, which may - or may not - include their spouse and child(ren). It may also involve endorsement deals, and lots of self promotion.

If the spouse is not supportive of this, then (male or female), then they'd have a lot to talk about.

As for the issues of social stigma with a figthing woman - there is social stigma for all sorts of women - we face critcisms if we choose to work full time, have hobbies of our own, or even if we decide to stay at home and raise our families, have plastic surgery, or whatever we want, we face criticism. As a woman, if I spent all my time trying to make sure everyone was pleased with my decisions, I'd never make a decision without being so wracked with guilt that someone might be offended!

By the way, I'm also aware that men face social stigma as well - stay at home fathers, men in non-traditional professions or hobbies, too wimpy, too aggressive, make less money than their spouses - I think you get the point.

I think an approach to these social stigma issues is we all have to find our own answers, by following our own consciences and experiences and making well planned decisions that consider the implications of the paths we are contemplating; there isn't much more we can do.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

I'd stand up and laud it from the rooftops.

This issue goes deeper than we think...even congress has passed laws keeping women from fighting at the lines. Sexism is alive and well in this country. I feel that if we are all basically built the same (two hands, legs, etc.) then we can all do essentially the same jobs, be it paperwork, driving, nursing(male nurse speaking here), and yes, fighting.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous