• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ITF TKD Questions.

http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2VL0ON6VP1NPA18G97IJRKSFRZ

Here is a video showing an ITF Taekwon-do match between Ri Chol Nam and another ITF TKD athlete from Europe. After this match, another match is shown between Ri Chol Nam and Hwang Su Il. Whilst watching this, I had a few question about ITF TKD.

1) The Jumping Punch

In ITF TKD, is the jumping punch just listed as a technique that scores highly, or are ITF students explicitly taught step-by-step how to jump and how to throw the punch. Also, are there different types of jumping punch? And how did the jumping punch originate?

2) ITF Punching

How are the punches used in ITF sparring taught and performed? Are the punches used in ITF matches adopted from boxing or another style or martial art? What makes ITF punching different to other martial arts. Also, how did this system of punching arise? As I have never seen it performed in tul, was was wondering how this type of punching came to be used

3) ITF Footwork

What are the traits of ITF footwork that separate it from WTF. Being a WTF TKD practitioner, I did not notice any rapid switching of the feet (to confuse the opponent), just mainly switching stances and faking kicks. Also, is it prescribed to use the lead leg alot?

4) The ITF Round Kick

In another thread, the ITF round kick, which uses the ball of the foot, was discussed. In this video, and others, a style of round kick is used very similar to Muay Thai, except the instep is used. The foot is not snapped, and the whole leg is swung like a bat into the opponent. The European practioner performs this kick and misses. Was this "swinging" kick adopted from another style or was it created by the ITF in response to problems caused by the techniques used before the advent of this kick.

Thanx for your responses.

Random Trivia: Hwang Su Il, aside from being the former ITF World Middleweight Champion, is also the man chosen to perform the moves used by the Tekken character "Hwoarang".

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1) The Jumping Punch

In ITF TKD, is the jumping punch just listed as a technique that scores highly, or are ITF students explicitly taught step-by-step how to jump and how to throw the punch. Also, are there different types of jumping punch? And how did the jumping punch originate?

in itf a jumping punch to the head is worth 2 points as opposed to the normal 1, so yea its a purely tournament thing. We are taught/we practice when and how jumping punches are to be used... too detailed to go into here.

2) ITF Punching

How are the punches used in ITF sparring taught and performed? Are the punches used in ITF matches adopted from boxing or another style or martial art? What makes ITF punching different to other martial arts. Also, how did this system of punching arise? As I have never seen it performed in tul, was was wondering how this type of punching came to be used

punches have to be thrown with a straight arm to score. in that video there arent as many punches thrown than is typical to ITF... perhaps its the korean style? ITF punching is kind of shotokan punches given a few more modern adjustments based on physics and the experience of gen. choi... so it looks a bit more 'boxing' like but is still quite different. Not sure what 'system' your talking about... we have alot of punching in tul?

3) ITF Footwork

What are the traits of ITF footwork that separate it from WTF. Being a WTF TKD practitioner, I did not notice any rapid switching of the feet (to confuse the opponent), just mainly switching stances and faking kicks. Also, is it prescribed to use the lead leg alot?

ITF is quite similar to WTF in stances but a little longer/more grounded.. there isnt so much of that 'switching'... we dont do the alternating leg round kicks that WTF do (that kinda hopping barrage) favouring multiple side kicks as it closes your guard... yes it is prescribed to use the lead leg more because it doesnt open your guard and is faster (in a real fight using the back leg would often be too slow and would get you destroyed)

(4) The ITF Round Kick

In another thread, the ITF round kick, which uses the ball of the foot, was discussed. In this video, and others, a style of round kick is used very similar to Muay Thai, except the instep is used. The foot is not snapped, and the whole leg is swung like a bat into the opponent. The European practioner performs this kick and misses. Was this "swinging" kick adopted from another style or was it created by the ITF in response to problems caused by the techniques used before the advent of this kick.

Ball of foot=self defence, Instep=tournaments (not as dangerous). The ITF round kick is sort of inbetween a muay thai kick and the 'snapping style'. The knee is brought back and 'swung' round as the supporting foot turns round so that the heel faces forward. The foot is however 'snapped' back after kicking. Not sure about the specific origins of the round kick sorry.

What I mean is that when I have seen an ITF student performing a pattern, I have never seen punches executed in the way they would in a tournament/ sparring. I'm trying to search for an ITF TKD school, and would like to know what to expect. I know you said there is too much detail, but I would be very grateful if you could elaborate on the Jumping Punch. When I said "system of punching" I was just referring to the method of throwing punches in ITF, and as to how it originated.

Thanks for your response mattyj, you responed to all of my questions.

I don't do either WTF or ITF, but every Wednesday I go to their sparring nights and I am able to discern key differences between the two for this question you posed:

3) ITF Footwork

The ITF have adhered more to its military based traditions, being a derivative of the Oh Do Kwan. The WTF, formed by the Chang Moo Kwan, the Chung Do Kwan, and the Ji Do Kwan, has evolved into a combat sport. This is evident in sparring, where the WTF of course is olympic sparring (predominantly kicks to head and chestgear, no kicking legs, no punching head, no clinching, no takedowns, no grappling). The ITF generally is the same except there are less restrictions on protective gear and punching to the head is allowed.

So in answer to your question, ITF footwork from what I have observed is rapid linear movement, capitalizing mostly with hands after closing the distance with their legs. They are not so unlike Wing Chun actually, I have even seen ITF practitioners punch to the point where it looks like numeric chain punching. The WTF footwork I have observed over the last several weeks has been mainly as you state, switching of stances and bursts of lunges in order to manipulate distance to maximize points for "skip kicking." I believe that most sparring strategies - footwork, techniques utilized, etc - are defined in part by the ruleset. This accounts for the difference in the two - ITF includes the hand game.

That was a very informative post EternalRage. Thanx. I have actually seen this chain punching you mention, hopefully I can post another video to show what I mean, where the thumbs of the fists face the floor, rather than face inwards to the guard. One ITF TKD practitioner Lukasz "Juras" Tomowski (sp?) uses a technique where he raises the lead leg briefly, before sharply bring the foot down and stepping of really quickly unlease a maximum of 3 punches.

What I mean is that when I have seen an ITF student performing a pattern, I have never seen punches executed in the way they would in a tournament/ sparring. When I said "system of punching" I was just referring to the method of throwing punches in ITF, and as to how it originated.

ahh ok. your right in patterns the punches are performed in a kind of "overtraining" way, more like traditional karate, where the off-hand is brought back to the hip for reaction force.. we also accentuate the 'sine-wave' (bouncy) motion more in patterns so it becomes more natural. there is no 'boxing' like handwork in patterns, though there is some quick combos, they just arent so 'sparring' like.

um well the jumping punch is just executed because it can catch the opposition of guard/scores higher/covers distance.. its quite dangerous and depending on the practitioner is use sparingly because you can counter it by forming a close guard and pushing into the person doing the jumping punch. hope this helps :)

Superfoot,

As relates to fighting style nto being found in the tul...ITF Does teach many flying punches once you enter the more advanced ranks!

Think of it this way...The Pal-Gwe and Tae-Geuk poomse utilize the round kick, right? However, no where in the poomse will you see a flying or spinning whip kick at the end of numerous stance transitions...Why? The form displayes the basis of all technique were as sparring utilizes a range of methodology regarding the application!

Secondly, the round kick is called a turning kick in the ITF...why does it move so differently in the tul...why do the poomse not demonstrate almost falling after lunging to deliver that round kick to a target that is retreating?

TAEKWON!

SpooKeY

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!

yea patterns definitely train you in a 'after this do this' kind of way as well... so its not like its completely removed from sparring... it just has a different look to it.