• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Peddler

Knees to the head are painfull, and are great for knocking people out. However, the idea that you'd have enough time to see a takedown attempt and react accordingly with a knee that has potent knockout power is about as unlikely as people who claimed they'd simply "jump back and kick the guy in the face."

Takedown are executed from the same distance that punches and kicks are, and are often set up with other techniques, such as jabs, crosses, or kicks.

The idea of defending a takedown, or in this case a shot attempt, it to distance your hips and legs as far as possible from your opponents hips. It is possible to deliver a strong knee on someone attempting a shot, but there are too many variables- if you dont knock them out, you're going to be put in a bad position, not to mention your timing has to be almost perfect. Some MMA fighters have attempted knees on takedown attempts, but often after they've connected/missed they're often seen relying on the basic sprawl to defend the takedown.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get off the power-line and let 'um have it! :D

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

Yeah, the two I was involved with-ok, 3 I just remembered another. In one, the defender grabbed the guy's head as he went down, which resulted in a pretty good headlock. I another, the defender just stepped out of the way, then jumped on the attacker's back and pounded his head into oblivion. The third one evolved more slowly: the defender kept stepping back-through one door of a room and out the other into the hallway ( while holding onto the attacker's head) untill he got control of his balance and swung the guy around into a wall. So in two of those, the defender never had to go to the ground.

I am sure people are not going to believe this but "squat". Drop all of your weight on your two feet. You are not going to get it the first or second time. Have a partner start out slow with alot of force and pick up speed from there. I also need to add keep your feet close together. When you start to get the hang of it just ram there head into your knee after that. You will also have to work on balance and keeping your knee's close. If your balance is bad...............it's going to take along time. To speed up the process go get a balance board and start there. I hope this helps. PhD Peddler
This doesn't make any sense...it sounds to me like exactly what you shouldn't do...Anyway just drill the basics like sprawling, and if he puts his head down sink in a guillotine.

Peace and may God be with you...

Deus Ex Remake

the sprall is one of the best ways to avoid being taken down. as to the knee idea you can work the knees pretty well from the sprall.

Fist visible Strike invisible

to me (unless im not understanding what your saying) is close to saying the best way to avoid getting taken down is to imediatly jump to the floor

No all that off the mark. Using the attackers momentum against him (and thus redirecting him) will set him up for you to counter effectively from the ground or return to standing depending on the circumstances and your skills.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

have you ever had to deal with a good wrestler the only way to not get taken down is to sprawl. there are few other ways that work as well.

Fist visible Strike invisible

when i did pankration the sprawl was our bread & butter to counter a BG shooting in for a single/double leg tkdwn.

i remember one incident where my opponent (this was in a dojo so not a street example) and he shot in wonderfully! Luckily I was able to sprawl, getting my legs & hips away from his, and forcing him downwards onto the mat. Then I helicoptered around him, got my hooks in, and sank in the standard rear choke. Point - CQB! :)

on the street, if the same were to occur, i would still start with the sprawl. If successful with this counter to his attempted takedown, I woudl then move off centre line, posting off his head with one hand & arm, and give a quick knee strike to his head while he was still lying prone. Then I would have to decide if I want to either vacate or continue to attempt to gain control via standard arrest & control tactics, etc. My priority is to remain upright and not make this a grappling match. The street/pavement is not as forgiving as the mats back in the school..... :P

be safe,

CQB

In today's world there are people who will try to victimize you or a loved one. No reality check is as frightening nor as powerful as when one becomes a victim of criminal violence. At this point it isn't about winning or losing - it's about surviving. Train to survive. Modern Defendo - CQB.

Uhm exactly what pockets says....just sprawl. In other words when he grabs for your legs wrap your arms around him from the back side and straighten your legs and weigh yourself down so he has noway of grabbing your legs and taking you down

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master