• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's everybody's suggestions for defending a spear takedown, tackle, whatever you call it: somebody ducks, grabs your legs and plows.

I have unsuccessfully attempted one and successfully defended another(I consider myself lucky that time). But I have no doubt as to their effectiveness and prefer to fight standing up at this point in my training.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're referring to a double-leg takedown. Could also be a single, even a firemans throw or other things. Anyway- you have to sprawl. Often times a good sprawl will let you take a guys back pretty easily.

good way to practice spraws

1 while standing drop to the ground and kick your legs up catching yourself on your hand. anyone who has been on a wrestling team knows this one and i quite sick of it.

2find a swiss ball. the big blue ones that chicks love to workout on. kick it agaist a wall and when it comes back try to land your chest on it.

3 drill with a partner who is trying to take you down at about 50 % spped

4drill live

If I land my chest on the ball, I'm going over top of the attacker. The drill where I kick my feet in the air: I kick back and land face forward on my hands-right? Same basic body movements for both drills.

I am sure people are not going to believe this but "squat". Drop all of your weight on your two feet. You are not going to get it the first or second time. Have a partner start out slow with alot of force and pick up speed from there. I also need to add keep your feet close together. When you start to get the hang of it just ram there head into your knee after that. You will also have to work on balance and keeping your knee's close. If your balance is bad...............it's going to take along time. To speed up the process go get a balance board and start there. I hope this helps. PhD Peddler

I am sure people are not going to believe this but "squat". Drop all of your weight on your two feet. You are not going to get it the first or second time. Have a partner start out slow with alot of force and pick up speed from there. I also need to add keep your feet close together. When you start to get the hang of it just ram there head into your knee after that. You will also have to work on balance and keeping your knee's close. If your balance is bad...............it's going to take along time. To speed up the process go get a balance board and start there. I hope this helps. PhD Peddler

I will admit that I don't believe you- because if I went for a double or single and the guy squatted, I'd do several things off the top of my head- pick an ankle, clinch and step one foot behind his and bring him down, or just plow right through him and mount. Also, it seems to me I might be able to take his back.

I will admit that I don't believe you- because if I went for a double or single and the guy squatted, I'd do several things off the top of my head- pick an ankle, clinch and step one foot behind his and bring him down, or just plow right through him and mount. Also, it seems to me I might be able to take his back.

i agree accept i would not use as many options i would just plow through and mount. in wrestling we called this rail roading someone. ussually it happened when both guys were down in a kinda neutral postion and on guy got on his toes first.

to me (unless im not understanding what your saying) is close to saying the best way to avoid getting taken down is to imediatly jump to the floor