• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

makiwara construction

JimmyNewton

hey everyone.

i'm wanting to construct an outdoor makiwara. any tips on the rope rap for the upper portion, type of wood, etc. i've seen a few links online, but thought any additional info would help.

thanks

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It will work just as well if you cover the ropes with a leather pad that you can slip on while striking, then remove the pad and take it indoors when you're done. This keeps the pad from drying out and keeps you from getting rope fibers in your hand

also, i'm using cotton clothesline rope. I dont think rope fibers will be a problem. I guess the main thing i was wanting to know was about tying it. i've seen many sites talking about how to build the post, dimensions, etc, but none have specifics on rope tying. i guess as long as its tightly bound it doesnt matter.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

i remember one time we made one in my sensei's back yard, the post was a 2x4 but 2 days later he called me a said he broke the post right where it comes out of floor, so don't forget to back it up by a metal "C" or "T" profile half way.

i remember one time we made one in my sensei's back yard, the post was a 2x4 but 2 days later he called me a said he broke the post right where it comes out of floor, so don't forget to back it up by a metal "C" or "T" profile half way.

Wouldn't that be evidence that it was not constructed with enough flexibility (either the post or allowed range of motion) rather than resistant power specifically at the base?

Oh and Jimmy, you may want to see if you can contact someone at Kyoshi Perry's dojo in Hendersonville or Kyoshi Roberts' dojo in Asheville. While Kyoshi Roberts isn't there right now (I think), he has sold and made makiwara in the past and there may be some old ones left over in his store (or maybe some of his students know as well). I'm pretty sure there's some people who would know at Kyoshi Perry's dojo as well. It wouldn't be too far of a drive to make if it turns out to be the case.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

it was about 18" inside the concerete and we put two "L" bracket around it right on the surface but with that depth it has to be backed by a metal support half way.

I put duct tape over the rope on mine,