• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many katas?

pineapple

I often read about how many of the old masters practiced just a few katas over and over and yet the trend today seems to be to learn as many katas as possible.

Which is better? How many katas are too much and how many are too few?

:-?

What works works

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't answer that, but I do know that I practice one main kata, called the Kenpo Master Form. This is a homogolation of all of our techniques with different transitions implemented. With each belt level, we add the newly learned techniques to the form in their correct order and direction...the thinking is that by the time you reach the level of black belt, you will have all the tools and weapons of Chinese Kenpo in one form. And we practice that form over and over and over and...

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

It really depends on why you train.

If you train for competition etc it may be better to learn more kata so you have more to choose from when it comes comp time. Also learn more may be an advantage in that you are exposed to a larger variety of "themes" and concepts.

If, on the other hand, you train for self-defence then it is probably better to learn less kata but study each one more in-depth so you learn all the applications.

So to answer you question, you need to find a happy medium between these 2 things:

1. learning alot of kata but not really learning all the application of each

and...

2. learning only a small amount of kata but getting the application very well.

Each one has its trade-offs but you need to look at which one better suits your own goals.

Edited by cross

With each belt level, we add the newly learned techniques to the form in their correct order and direction...the thinking is that by the time you reach the level of black belt, you will have all the tools and weapons of Chinese Kenpo in one form.

This sounds like a great idea. How long does the form end up being by the time you reach black belt??

We have two or three per belt level in my school. Each incorporates technique you learn as you progress. so...

white belts learn: kiban 1-3; main stances (front, back, horse riding), different levels for strikes

yellow belts learn: pyong-an cho-dan and ei-dan; different blocks, stance transitions, and incorporating kicks

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

Why not learn many katas really good? Who says you cant be as good as the old masters at the katas they practised and at the same time be good at more katas then them?

Extraordinary abilities can only come from extraordinary effort

In Isshin-Ryu we have eight open hand katas, but you are expected to examine them beyond belief. From my limited experience with World TKD (Kukkiwon), you learn the Taeguk forms, but you never really learn what you are doing in them. You just know this pattern of techniques. I'm sure there are WTF schools out there who teach in-depth analysis of kata bunkai, but I have yet to see one.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

In Isshin-Ryu we have eight open hand katas, but you are expected to examine them beyond belief. From my limited experience with World TKD (Kukkiwon), you learn the Taeguk forms, but you never really learn what you are doing in them. You just know this pattern of techniques. I'm sure there are WTF schools out there who teach in-depth analysis of kata bunkai, but I have yet to see one.

Yes, it's true. We learn the 8 Taegeuks. My instructor does show us "basic" bunkai. But I study them deeper on my own. We also learn a bo form all before BB.

Laurie F

I often read about how many of the old masters practiced just a few katas over and over and yet the trend today seems to be to learn as many katas as possible.

:-?

At one point in my former Kenpo system, I knew 32 katas by the time I reached my BB. Those included weapon katas as well. Unfortunately, I have a recording of many of these katas because I seriously forgot many of them as time went on. Many times I find myself mixing them up.....kinda like a master form in itself :brow:

As to how many is too many, or too less....that is open to interpretation :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

My opinion is as a general rule less is more. I currently practice about 70 (including kobudo kata) and take it from me, that is way too many. I'd be happy if I could get down to 50. I don't think any style with weapons needs more then 50 and without weapons 20 should be enough. Just my opinion though.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.