• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Racism at the dojo

There's no racism at my dojang but i must say i do suffer from beltism. I refuse to bow to kocky upper belts, I feel like I'm wasting my time bowing to someone who has a smirk on their face. Well I guess i dont have beltism, i just dont like that one guy.

Anyways......less smirking more bowing.

Peace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wave: I live in England for about 7 years now i have afriacn friends asian friends americans friends erupean friends etc. no matter what their skin they are my best friend ever!!!! Oh in my dojo kenshukai is very high reputation and no racicm.....sorry for my spellings i rush type these

I am still training however, having dabbled in Shotokan and Shotokai Karate. I am please to report that Kenshukai is one of the strongest and most disciplined styles ( i did not write this)

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say I've ever encountered any overt racism in the dojang or in our Association. Aside from the fact that it is an art founded by Asians, and our grandmaster is Asian, some of the most high ranking and well respected masters in our association are from any number of races..i can think of two African American masters in particular who garner a ton of respect, one of whom is 6th Dan, and the other who will receive his 6th dan shortly...

That said, I did get accused of racism in a tournament once, where I was told by a disgruntled parent that my ring displayed a great deal of racial bias....

convenient that she completely ignored the fact that the girl who won sparring was Asian, and the girl who won forms was African-American....

oh well, I guess we were just racially biased towards HER daughter....

My school is really "multicultural" My head Instructor is Black and sometimes I'm the only "white" person in class! We also have a traditional Rabbi in our class and about 20% of our guys speak more Spanish than English!

Actually it's kinda funnny when the Jewish guy (this was before I knew he was a Rabbi) first started coming to class I hated throwing him because it would usually knock off his yamika(sic) and I'd feel really bad!

Rock Paper Scissor

Punch Knee Kick

^ME^ ^MY DOJO^

Phantasmatic a few questions

Are you sure they hate him/her becuase his/her race?

Have you heard or seen anything other than this felling you have?

does the head instructor now they are acting this way?

Bottom line is if the HEAD INST. /OWNER acts this way find another DOJO. I would bet if it is happening it is a couple of idiots who think they are better than everyone becuase the are " instructors".

Talk to the owner it could cuase him to lose all he has worked for if these guys are truly acting this way.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

I know my first instructor was very racist. He hid well though. There were no African-Americans in the adult class so we had no idea. However, when I reached my brown belt and started helping to teach he thought he could confide in me more of his feelings I suppose. His basic concept was that African-Americans were good enough to take money from for classes but they weren't worth spending any extra effort on. He also used degrading terms for these children behind their backs. Add this on top of some other disagreements that we had and I left class immediately. He was and still is as far as I know a complete idiot. I have a military background and was in Desert Storm with the 1st Infantry division. I can say without a doubt that where "the metal meets the meat" , quoting an infantry saying, you don't care what color the person standing next to you is. They are the ones that are going to save you a**. I don't even get the concept of racism because of a skin color.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.