• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Racism at the dojo

i have never encountered racism.

Wasn't Bruce Lee boycotted by chinese masters when he started teaching non-chinese n the U.S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I have not encountered racism in the dojo from an instructor. We as martial artists should be able to put ourselves above such matters, and emmerse ourselves in the training and evironment.

Any instructor who condones this behavior is stupid.

Contrary to the popular belief.....

EVERYONE IS A RACIST.

Unfortunately, this is very true. Whether it is jokes or inuendos, it happens a lot, even if it is not meant to hurt anyone.

• 2 months later...

never encountered racism in any form anywhere in MA. but then, at the dojos i've been to just about everyone has been white european, so there hasn't been much opportunity for racism either.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Contrary to the popular belief.....

EVERYONE IS A RACIST.

i really don't agree with that.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I do!

If ever you have sent around an "Irish" joke or anything similar, then you too are in this group, that's just about everyone. Having said that, I think for the most part, no-one means to offend anyone by it, it's just a bit of fun. Same as blonde jokes, female/male jokes or just about any other joke that dictates a certain stereotype.

When it is done to offend, that is a completely different matter (as is continuing when asked no to, even if not intended to offend originally). That sort of Racism should never be tolerated!!

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.