• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

washing your gi

aefibird

I leave mine to the wife, but she has shrunk it, and now she is scared to wash it on a hot wash incase it shrinks anymore and it's starting to go yellow, is it too late for this suit do you think or can I get it white again??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Meijin and Tokaido heavyweight gis. I put them in 40-60 degree wash with softener. When they start getting covered in grime and it won't come out I put it on a hot wash pretreated with oxi-clean.

I don't have a tumble drier so usually hang them on the radiator. If I'm in a real hurry I'll take them to the launderette and use the driers there.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

cool, cheers for that, I'm not sure if we can get Iron out in the UK but I've got some oxi-clean, I'll give that a whirl, and if it shrinks again i'll just have to buy a new one.. Loking at it now I thought i'd have to buy a new one anyway..

• 2 weeks later...

To Keep Black GIs Black:

Wash only black GI (can put other black only clothes in)

Put machine on regular wash, use detergent.

wait for the 1st cycle to end (water empties)

when it fills up to rinse put in 2 table spoons of regular instant coffee grinds.

The GI (if faded) will somehow magically come back to the normal black.

If you put the grinds in with Detergent, it still works, but not as well.

My mom read this in some handy hints book when I was a teenager.

My wife washes my GIs now, and she does the coffee grinds thing with all my black clothes.

Please try it out on an old black t-shirt or jeans before you attempt on your GI. If you like the results (Like I have), then try it on your GI.

Fear does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

Pain does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

To Keep Black GIs Black:

when it fills up to rinse put in 2 table spoons of regular instant coffee grinds.

My wife washes my GIs now, and she does the coffee grinds thing with all my black clothes.

Please try it out on an old black t-shirt or jeans before you attempt on your GI. If you like the results (Like I have), then try it on your GI.

Interesting. You say "instant coffee grinds". Do you mean instant coffee or do you mean grinds from a pot of brewed coffee? I would guess the former since it would dissolve but who knows with 'Heloise' type hints. Does the brand/type of coffee matter?

To Keep Black GIs Black:

Interesting. You say "instant coffee grinds". Do you mean instant coffee or do you mean grinds from a pot of brewed coffee? I would guess the former since it would dissolve but who knows with 'Heloise' type hints. Does the brand/type of coffee matter?

My wife keeps maxwell house instant coffee in the house. But, yes instant coffee is what you need to use.

Fear does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

Pain does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

Wash on cold/cold or warm/cold, using normal detergent. I don't get mine too bloody, so I don't bleach it. If it is all white, that would be ok. I have seen patches come back bleached, though. Then I just tumble dry it. I don't like how it feels with softener, so I try to avoid it.