• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I've learned to use the "bleach pen" by Clorox for spot stains from mystery goo on the dojo floor and iron mishaps.

For blood (and other organic stains like sweat, grass, juice) cold water rinse to get as much as possible out, then an enzyme treatment like Shout, let sit for 15 mins, then wash in cold.

I try to wash and iron my gi for every class, but it is getting to be a hardship with only one gi. After light workouts I hang it to air out and dry over night and give it a light iron.

Good undergarments and a decent anti-persperant/deoderant are musts too. Staying hydrated will help keep sweat dilluted as well if you find washing the gi after each class impossible.

My sensei suggested that a small amount of bleach is necessary to kill microorganisms that cause odor even in a freshly washed gi. I notice my pre-teen's clothes still smell kind of funky even when I've just washed them, so I believe her.

I found out I can starch my gi on my own by running it in a mini-load with a small bottle of starch dumped in. It looked really nice when I pressed it.

White belt mind. Black belt heart.

Rejoice and be glad!

• 2 weeks later...
I have avery dirty and oily job. any ideas on cleaning dirt rings from cuffs and collars.Ihave tried everything.oxyclean,stain remover.any new ideas would be very welcome

Take the do-gi to a professional laundry. They'll know what to do. It may be beyond help.

Taking a shower before training is recommended.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Before you put on your dogi, run a soapy hand towel around your neck and wrists. This will help prevent rings from forming on your dogi. Afterclass, soak the dogi, use a nail brush and stain-remover to scrub the stained areas on your dogi, and wash in warm water with detergent.

• 2 weeks later...
meh, thanks for the advise BUT i give up... they wont go away, and mom still folded it AND put it in the bottom of the washing pile even tho i told her not too... guess ill just have to live with it.

Try having the iron on it's hottest setting - it is heat that will remove the creases. Also, irom whilst damp. Maybe do it yourself too, not get your mum to do it for you! That way you can wash and iron your gi as you like!!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 1 month later...

I have tried all kinds of techniques on my too many Gi's (took me a while to find one I liked). If you wash a heavy wieght Brushed Gi on heavy duty, it will wear out faster, I know. If the Gi started out to large on me, then I wash it in hot each time AND dry it. it will stop shrinking after a while. I purposely buy them just a bit big, so i can shrink it. from then opn it is idiot proof and i can dry it in the dryer.

• 1 month later...