• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

washing your gi

aefibird

Ours are standard white gi's. I stick it in the machine, on a 40* with persil capsule and any fabric conditioner I have to hand - hope for the best! I did put it in the dryer once but it shrivelled up - oops!

Karate Ni Sentinashi

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get ready for a long dry time for the black double weave uniforms. No fabric softener is the way to go, but on the stiffer uniforms it will make it feel like you're wearing sandpaper....so if you can wear a t-shirt underneath until it gets broken in a bit.

I wash mine in a gentle cycle with warm water. I have one of the tumble/front load washers that are more gentle on the fabric. I use Tide powder, and no fabric softner (it can yellow the fabric).

As it gets yellow, use a product called laundry blueing. (works to make it white with a slight blue hue...remind ya'all of something?)

I size mine to be able to dry it in a machiene at lowest temp, I think the tumble of it as it dries makes it softer to wear.

Oh, and I'm real carefull to wash it alone or with only other things that are just white.

Rick

• 4 months later...

I have 3 white heavyweight Gi's. The first one i washed in a hotter wash and over time it went yellow. I later found out that the hot wash 'fixes' the sweat to it and basically paints it with the stuff. (I thought it was fabric softener as well but it turned out not to be)

The other two i wash at 30 and they're both fine, I just use your standard washing powder and conditioner. I tumble dry them as well and never had any problems.

• 1 month later...
I have 3 white heavyweight Gi's. The first one i washed in a hotter wash and over time it went yellow. I later found out that the hot wash 'fixes' the sweat to it and basically paints it with the stuff. (I thought it was fabric softener as well but it turned out not to be)

Didn't know that! I'll try this with my new gi and I hope it'll work for me too.

I wash mine on 90°C because I can't get out some of the stains on lower temperatures. I only use regular detergent and a generous dose of fabric softner. Hang to dry. No ironing, I just smooth out the wrinkles before folding it.

The only time I machine dry them is when they're brand new and need some shrinking time in the drier. :P

If you're going trough hell, keep going. | http://www.sankukai.org

I'll sometimes toss mine in the dryer on tumble for about 10-15 minutes to take the worst of the wrinkles out, but I normally hang dry mine.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1