• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't think I believe in forms.

Oopgrub

I have always enjoyed katas. For me, katas have provided a systematic method of working on transitions between various stances, movements and techniques. Overtime, I do believe katas help individuals become better martial artists, technicians and fighters.

Does this mean that sparring is unneccessary? In my opinion, no. But, katas are beneficial in the long-run.

When I perform katas, I imagine that I am in a real fight. I am really focused on making each element of the kata count as if my life depended on it.

Ted

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel katas are an intergral part of Martial Arts. They teach us self dicipline because kata's aren't always fun to repeat constantly, but we do it so that we learn the movements and techniques properly. I also think that when done with focus and power they are a valuable part of kumite because with the addition of bunkai every move of a kata becomes a fight of its own.

"No matter how you may excel in the art of

Karate, and in your scholastic endeavors, nothing is more important than your behavior and your humanity as observed in daily life."

~ Master Gichin Funakoshi

The ground fighting aspects of the kata is mostly forgotten these days. Back when the karate masters were fighting all comers’ karate was an all-ranges art and included grappling and ground fighting much like jujitsu does today.

So kata is misunderstood and if you don’t hold the key, you might as well forget it. But if you do have the key to unlock it, it offers a wealth of information.

KAOSKAI: PUTTING THE CAGEFIGHTING BACK INTO KARATE http://kagekata.00freehost.com/

I think that with kata, like so many other things in life, you'll get out of them what you put into them.

If you strive to learn as many as possible, compete, and win tourneys, then you will.

If you learn only what is asked of you, then you will. At my school, that also includes a scripted bunkai. Although better than the kata by itself, now it is two people following a set of movements. It's nice because you do need to learn to change the kata for when your opponent is taller or shorter than you. But it is still not self-exploratory.

I've tried to develop kata myself, wondering where to look for application. I was working on pinan nidan, because it is the only one that I really know all the techniques. There is an augmental middle block followed by a turn. We do learn the kata and a scripted bunkai. I thought that the turn would be a great place to introduce a hip throw or shoulder throw, especially since you already have control over your opponent's arm. But that's not in the script. I won't include the throw at school, but I will always remember that I came up with something beyond what we do in class. And I'm positive that as I grow as a martial artist, more ideas will come to me.

But, I will only ever get what I put in. I must become the martial artist that I want to be. No one else can do it for me.

jm

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

There are many kata that flow and are fluid. Others that are broken down for more simplistic work and focus on individual techniques. But if a moment can't be directly applied to combat it doesn't belong in kata. Any traditional practiced karate-ka should be able take any move in any kata they do and show you how they would use it on the street. Most movements work against a wide variety of situations.

Kata doesn't need to be modern because there is nothing modern melee combat. We have the same two feet, two hands, four appendages, head, and torso that we had 4,000 years ago. Blades, sticks, and rocks are still used and when you think about it the methods haven't changed that much. There is no reason a method of training and fighting won't work this year the same as it did the past 2,000 years. The scenery has changed, but that's about it.

This is from a previous post I made in the weapons forum...

You'd be hard pressed to find any martial art that doesn't have some kind of solitary practice routine that trains "muscle memory" and proper technique. And every time that someone says something to the effect of practical combat training being different or not the focus of kata I can't help but to groan. It's like a fairy dieing every time someone says "I don't believe in fairies." only the fairies are very real and they aren't actually fairies, they are the potential a person has as a martial artist.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm clapping like mad here :brow: :D

Edited by Sauzin

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Master Azato (one of Funakoshi's teachers) was attacked by one of Okinawa's greatest swordsman with a fully sharpened Katana (sword) and he bought him to his knees.

Azato only ever practised Kata. I wonder how he would react if you told him you thought Kata was ineffective?

Until you have practised one Kata for at least 3 years solid, you will not begin to understand Kata.

Kata is like an onion. Until you spend an enormous amount of time peeling the outer layers away, you will never see what is underneath. When you keep biting it, its sour, but long term its good food.

I have a challenge for all those that are anti-Kata ... Take one Kata and practise it as fast and as powerfully as you can for two hours daily, 6 days per week and see after 6 months how your martial skills are.

Now remember "practise it as fast and as powerfully as you can", as if you were in a real battle each time.

I believe this challenge will sort the men out from the boys.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I believe fully in the benefits of kata to certain point. I think that they are a great base of fundamentals. Once you have reached a certain point in kata, i think it is wise to move on.

This of course will differ upon the student and what he wants out of his Martial Arts training. That may be true about Azato, but who would argue that Bruce Lee didn't have the ability to defend himself (before he went Hollywood).

If you want to go down the path of kata, then do it full-heardetly. If you want to concentrate more on self-defense and combat, then learn and master kata for several years, then move on to combat - but never forget that foundation that kata taught you.

How does that saying go about the different paths to the top of the mountain and looking at the same moon? The point is, whatever path you choose - kata, weapons, sparring, one-steps, teaching, philosophy, budo or a combination of the above, or any that i left out - go with all your heart and i'll see you at the top.

If you have never experienced kata, don't downtalk it. It is very important to most of those that practice it, it is beneficial. If you haven't tried it, you should learn and master at least one, even if it's a beginner's kata.

One last point: if kata wasn't beneficial, why do think they've been around so long in so many variations?

I tend to agree with the fact it is a useful training tool, but not a major part of one's training.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Kata is an easy way to remember and perform a bunch of technique. I think people sometimes get carried away believeing they can learn the secrets of the universe through kata. A punch is just a punch.

On the other hand, there is something very zen to performing kata. If this is what you're after, fine. It won't necessarily make you a better fighter, but it may make you deeper. ohmmmm.

It seems to me that you're looking too much into kata as far as it's use in a real fight. I, too, once shared that point of view about kata in the infancy stages of my training. One day, I asked my sensei " I know it's required for rank but, what is the real purpose of kata? A real fight is not choreographed. How is a choreographed routine going to help me in a fight?"

He broke it down to me like this. Compare your martial arts training writing, as they are both forms of communication & expression. basic movements such as punches, kicks, blocks, etc. are like learning to read & right the alphabet. when you master how to punch, block, & kick (read & write letters), then you start putting them into techniques (sentences). After a while, you're able to perform & create your own techniques (paragraphs). before you know it, you're able to create your own theories and modify your own techniques (ofcourse without jeopardizing the underlying principle).

Basically, kata's are like writing practice sentences. they're mini practice fights. so, that when & if you have to take on multiple adversaries, you can fight in a realm that is familiar.

also, kata is a great way to learn how to focus your mind and thoughts on the objective at hand instead of filling your head with the clout & stress, not to mention is a great way to burn calories.

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.