• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blackbelt Gradings

neko_shojo

I'm testing for my blackbelt in June and I was just wondering if anyone had any insight as to what I can expect, I've never seen a blackbelt gradinggrading done, and as much as my sensai's have prepared me I am just looking for ideas from other people in different clubs and what they went through for their gradings? I am studying Chito-ryu and Shotokhan...incase anyone was wondering....

"No matter how you may excel in the art of

Karate, and in your scholastic endeavors, nothing is more important than your behavior and your humanity as observed in daily life."

~ Master Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's just a normal grading, a bit more hyped but nothing different. Expect to sweat and be tired after it - and to hype to others how hard it was and how special it is.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

It really varies from Sensei to Sensei. In some dojo the step from Kyu to Dan is marked by a significant increase in the complexity of the test, in others it is simply the addition of a few pieces of new required techniques and concepts. Your Sensei is the best source of information, or others who have made the Kyu to Dan transition under the same instructor.

In one dojo I attended, this step was marked by almost doubling the time the test took, and the addition of extensive fighting endurance aspects which were not present in those forms in any lower rank tests.

Good luck!

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

It really does vary from club to club.

My test was difficult, but hearing some people's experience of testing it looks 'easy' at the side of theirs. I know that some people's BB tests have included full weekend of testing, special fitness camp, early morning runs, 1000's of push and sit ups etc etc.

Ask your Sensei if you're not sure, but just keep on practicing your techniques and I'm sure you'll be ready.

Good luck for when you test! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Tests for Dan rankings in the dojo to which I belong are not unlike tests for Kyu gradings. But my instructor has added mental components, he requires from every candidate an essay, he wants to make certain that they are both mentally and physically strong.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

Thanks for your input everyone.

I know for sure that it is a two day testing, The first day being closed to anyone except blackbelts from our group of clubs. I know I will be graded by a board. Is this good or bad? I've never done tesing in front of a borad before, it is usually just the Sensai from my club. Also I know that I am studying two distinctly different styles of karate, Shotokhan and Chito-ryu....with the exception of a limited number most of the senior blackbelts who will be on the boards are Shotokhan and do not know thechito-ryu katas. I was wondering if this would be an advantage, or if using mainly chito-ryu katas would seem like cheating in a way. I can't totally avoid using some, as they are beautiful katas and they are part of what I have learned...but knowing that the moajority of the board will most likely not know these katas makes it feel...dishonorable...in a way.

I am also required to write at least one essay as well as some other assignemtns from my home dojo. I may post the essay here at a later date.

I am also curious as to what is looked for in a grading from kyu to dan....technique obviously, but in your experiance did they look for increased power or anything like that?

thanks in advance:

Neko

Karate, and in your scholastic endeavors, nothing is more important than your behavior and your humanity as observed in daily life."

I'm testing for my blackbelt in June and I was just wondering if anyone had any insight as to what I can expect, I've never seen a blackbelt gradinggrading done, and as much as my sensai's have prepared me I am just looking for ideas from other people in different clubs and what they went through for their gradings? I am studying Chito-ryu and Shotokhan...incase anyone was wondering....

I hope you drop a line and let us know how it goes!!

Good Luck!! :karate:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

I hope you drop a line and let us know how it goes!!

Good Luck!! :karate:

I definately will....sorry if I seem overly worried and pest like abou tthe entire thing....I'm just a little nervous because most of the other black stripes have had 1- 1.5 years training at their current level...my sensai feels that I'm ready after barely 6 months.....

well, your master would be the best judge of that. If he feels so, then stop beating yourself up over it...just KNOW you are ready and ace that test.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

To be honest with you a black belt grading can be a bit of an anticlimax. Most instructrs make it out to be really difficult and challenging. It is in fact not much more difficult than a kyu grading, only they add in mental aspects to the grading to test to see if you 'really want the grade'.

I know many who came away from a Black Belt grading wondering what all the hype was about. I really think that if you prepare well and go in confident and poised this will come across and they will start looking at someone else.

As for grading with a board, this is in someways better than just with one sensei. They will discuss your points both good and bad from different angles and you will get some very valuable pointers going forward.

One thing that I say to my students...

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.