• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tokaido sizes

boomerang

Hi everyone

I wish to buy a black Tokaido or Shureido heavyweight Gi.

I'm a bit confused about the sizes, I'm 5'8" in height and weigh 175lbs.

I emailed Tokaido japan direct and they came back with size 6 1/2 !

Seems big to me ! so i wondered if any of you guys could advise me,as communicating with them has been slow !

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Trust Jon Keeling. Tokaido sizes are smallish. Shureido sizes, then, are large-ish.

My Tokaido size would probably be around 7+ (I'm 6'2" / 188lbs). To make sure, measure the back width of your existing do-gi (most crucial to the fit) and jacket length you desire and send those to Tokaido - they can give you more exact size then.

If your current uniform fits you fine, measure it (use the "custom order" -chart from Tokaido pages as a reference) and send the measures to Tokaido. That way they can search a size that best fits you.

One example about size differences are belt sizes. For 340cm belts (I currently use 330cm, but I'll be moving up to 340 - I like 'em long), Shureido's size is 7.5. Tokaido size is 9.

So, don't trust the number size. :)

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Yep,

Unfortunately many uniform sizes are just a mere guide. Unless I know the brand I'm buying...seein' that I had one of their previous uniforms, I always go by weight versus height. Since I usually have to have my uniforms altered, I'd rather it be bigger than smaller. Plus washing and drying tends to shrink'em up with time :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I purchased one Tokaido( white ) off ebay in February in a closeout sale, took a chance and ordered a size 5 ! Has'nt come yet so i dont know what fit will be like. But i need the black one fairly quick so need to order soon !

Looks like i'll taking another chance

Yes i've emailed measurments to tokaido direct and i think i will receive an honest reply. but with the price going up with the size, you could question the integrity of some sites !

I've used shops in the past so was able to try gi on. But this time i want a quality and there is'nt a shop near that sells them, and if there was they'd want a king ransom for it.

Yes i've emailed measurments to tokaido direct and i think i will receive an honest reply. but with the price going up with the size, you could question the integrity of some sites !

Trust them - the fellows who run the firm are honest guys who want to have a solid customer base and good reputation.

Jussi Häkkinen

Turku

Finland

No problems at all - and I understand the concern about the firms. Some really do take any advance that is possible and it's rather healthy to be concerned. Actually, that's one reason why I begun to ask the measures (and send the measures). That way I know that I get at least close the fit I need (and it tells about their service - if they bother to measure their uniforms, they at least have a decent service).

I was surprised, too, when I checked the Meijin website at Dragon Tsunami and noticed that my size would be 8 or 9 in their chart - and that they really do have overly long sleeves and pantlegs. And well, when I mailed and asked them about certain things, their service proved to be something that I decided that I won't be their customer - ever.

Jussi Häkkinen

Turku

Finland