• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

southpaw and orthodox.. some good strategies when both fighters take different leads?

I am a southpaw fighter. I like to box my friend, who is about 25 lbs heavier than me (we're both 5'7", i am 135 lbs). My friend is an orthodox fighter. He has his power hand (his right) in the back and his left in the front. He doesnt's jab, just blocks my jabs and stiff arms me with his left and gives powerful right crosses the whole match, timing himself.

Advice on both issues? Thanks :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

so your a "crafty' lefty

boxing guys love to say that

everyone always says to keep your lead foot to the out side of the opponents lead foot. and move away from his power hand

this is sound advice

however each one of you is going to do that. and it is an endless battle also sooner or later (unless you guys plan on suffling into the next state) your going to have to come back the other way. when you do make sure you come back out of range of the power hand. (if you dont you will get hit straight down broadway by his power hand. pivot out.

i saw eric payne get knocked out in denver like that. (well he dint get knocked out from it but dazed enough to get chocked out. btw eric payne is a very good fighter and even he made that mistake.

as far as advantages and disagvantages. the lefty has the advantage cause rightys dont see to many leftys and leftys see rightys all the time.

also when i fight a south paw i tend to really nail the liver with my left hook(since its on the right side and easy to get to on south paws)

very painful

i do it on rightys to but it is harder to get to and i must expose my self to more danger to hit it.