• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thought I would get more replies here

This may sound like a stupid question but I am curious about it. I am thinking about joining a Muay Thai training center to learn. How exactly would I be taught by the instructor though? I mean I would be the only new guy and everyone else would be there for weeks, months or maybe even years. And they are going to be at a more advanced level, learning more advanced things. And I am going to want to start with the very basics of course so how will I learn those if everyone else is already in the advanced stage? Will the instructor just teach me alone? Or do they usually have a class with all beginners?

And even then the "beginning" class would probably have guys in there that have at least been doing it and learning things for weeks. So I wouldn't want to miss ANYTHING. I hope this makes sense to you guys. I really am curious about how I would be taught, starting from the very basics and working my way up when everyone else will already be at a higher level.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What I'm about to tell you is from a karate instructor's point, although it still generally applies to any decent martial arts school.

Assuming that the school is a good one, and a decent sized one, there should be classes for beginners. Even though you would start in a beginner's class, as you suspect, you might not be ready to go through the entire class, due to the lack of familiarity. In this case, one of the instructors would take you aside from the rest of the class, and give the rundown on the basics. As you attend more and more classes, you might still be working one on one with an instructor, but you would be gradually training more and more with the rest of the class, until you no longer need the one-on-one work.

Sometimes, there might be several new folks coming in at once, in which case, an instructor might take them aside as a group, away from the rest of the class, and give them the basic instruction. The principles are the same, though; a new student must be taught to walk before he can be taught to run.

IMHO, to toss someone that has no experience at all, into a class of experienced people, without preparing them, isn't exactly wise. While I'm fairly certain that a few people might thrive no matter what the situation, many people would get frustrated, intimidated, or something similar, and simply quit. No decent instructor should throw an inexperienced newbie (no offense intended at all) into a pack of wolves, and hope that the newbie survives.

Most of the folks who teach martial arts abide by a certain teachers' creed:

A small percentage of the people training under you will "get it," even if the instruction isn't up to par.

A small percentage of the people training under you will never "get it," no matter how good the instruction is.

The large majority of people training under you can "get it," with proper guidance, but will not "get it," if given less than decent instruction.

Thank you for that post! Very informative. So basically what you're saying is I should go to this Muay Thai training center and just talk with the instructor and tell him that I am new to Muay Thai, new to Martial Arts having never taken any before and I would like to start, and HAVE to start with the very basics because of my inexperience. And then I should just let him take it from there? Because he should know what to do right?

Thank you for that post! Very informative. So basically what you're saying is I should go to this Muay Thai training center and just talk with the instructor and tell him that I am new to Muay Thai, new to Martial Arts having never taken any before and I would like to start, and HAVE to start with the very basics because of my inexperience. And then I should just let him take it from there? Because he should know what to do right?

Exactly.

As I stated earlier, if he's a good teacher, then he'll know how to break you in properly, by teaching you the basics first. He might have an assistant instructor teach you the basics, but either way, you would be brought up to speed in a safe, and encouraging way.

When you speak with him, be honest, and tell him what you're looking for, what your strengths and limitations are, etc. This can make the teaching part go more smoothly.

my class is very small with about 5 students in. when we have a new student as we did on thursday they do the warm up with us as best they can then they do the shaddow boxing and when it comes to the techniques they do very basic stuff while we do the advanced stuff. when it comes to sparing they just practice combos with their partner lightly.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

Depends on the actual school and the instructors I think. In my Muay Thai Camp what generally happens is there are 5 introductory classes for beginners that is mandatory for the beginner to attend before moving in to the regular class. So basically, during the class the beginners join the regular group to go through the regular warmup training part of the class which involves a very high intensity combination of cardio and strength conditioning exercises. When the muay thai instruction part starts, the beginners are then taken aside and taught the basics. They do this for 5 classes. After that it is mandatory to have the gloves and required gear for the regular classes. Yes you are right, some people have been there longer but generally it does not affect anything unless you go into more advanced classes like sparring classes. In my training camp it is designed that there are several beginner level classes all week long 5 nights a week. There are also mixed level regular muay thai classes during the day time and also mixed level classes on the weekends. There are also advanced classes and sparring classes that take place all week long. There are more then enough classes to choose from as you advance. Depends on what you wish to do with muay thai? Do you plan to compete? If so you will be training very hard. The majority of the people that attend my camp do so for the health benefit one gets from the intense workouts. Also the majority of people do not go to be graded and usually end up remaining in the regular muay thai classes as they only seek the benefit of gettting in shape. As far as going up levels there is an opportunity to test your skills to advance every 3 months or so, that does not mean you test every 3 months, that means there is an opportunity to test every 3 months, you only test when you think you are ready and wanting to advance. But as I said most people there stay at the beginner level as they have no intention of competing. It all comes down to what you want from muay thai. Alot of it also depends on the instructors and the gym you attend and the way the classes are designed for training. No harm to go and ask questions; if it is a decent muay thai camp they should allow you to participate free for one beginner class so you can see whether or not muay thai is for you. But I will tell you based on my camp that muay thai is definitely a very intense workout that will no doubt get you in shape and also the added feature of self defence. I find my camp/gym to be awesome and I am greatful to be learning muay thai and getting in good shape at the same time. Best wishes, but do not be intimidated by those who might be advanced in the same class. More often then not you will find those who are more advanced in your class to be good comrades inspiring you to achieve your goals. They had to advance somehow right? they were once beginners also. Sometimes there are people that are more advanced in my classes, does not make a difference as we practice what the ajarn instructs, the more advanced person might have better technique thats about all but people are generally pretty decent when it comes to new people and I find it to be a very positive environment, people are usually helpful and will not look down on you in the least if you are new, if anything they will try to help you be the best you can be to achieve your goals with muay thai.

Best wishes :karate:

Perserverence is admirable, keeping a positive outlook is beneficial, thriving in the face of challenge builds true character, being humble in all you do reminds you of who you are and where you came from.

Just another point I wanted to add. In so far as how you are taught and how you advance. Well at my camp as you attend begginer level classes ( not beginner classes) But regular classes, the more you attend the better your conditioning gets and the better you become at the muay thai practiced in class. Alot of it is really conditioning both phgysically and mentally. In my camp there are those who might be advanced that will attend also begginer level classes, but then they also attend advanced classes and sparring classes and any class they wish to take part in. You advance levels by being tested when you are ready. How will you know when you are ready? The camp has a set criteria of what you need to know how to do to advance from say a white praciat to a yellow praciat. Aside from learning the techniques required in regular classes, if you are planning to test and need to be prepped you can arrange a one on one with one of the instructors to prep you for testing time. The more you attend regular classes the more advanced you become in your technique and conditioning which will then allow you to advance by testing. You can choose also how many classes you wish to attend as I said in my camp there are several all week long and as you feel comortable to do so you can then try the mixed level classes and if you advance in technique in mixed level then try advanced level and also sparring classes. Alot of it is up to you. Your question might be responded to differently depending on the muay thai gym and how the training and classes are set out. Best thing is to contact the muay thai gym you are interested in, ask alot of questions about the specific gym and how training is done and how to advance. They will give you the information you need and as I said before do not be intimidated by advanced members , if it is a respectable muay thai gym, most people that would be attending there are of a positive mind set who would help to inspire you to achieve the goals you have for yourself in muay thai and would be more then willing and happy to help you to achieve them. Once again best wishes. If you go to ask questions, see if it is possible to attend a class to see if it suits what you are looking for. Good luck with your endeavors. :)

Perserverence is admirable, keeping a positive outlook is beneficial, thriving in the face of challenge builds true character, being humble in all you do reminds you of who you are and where you came from.