• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do the elements feature in Japanese belief? plan for garden.

TheDarxide

I am creating a kata/practice area in my new garden, and I am planning on having a circular slab at the centre, with concentric rings around broken up in a fashion similar to the korean flag (but pefectly circular)

I was planning on having a pillar at 'corners', each with something on top, perhaps representing the four elements, fire, water, earth and wind.

But I want to keep the meaning and representation true, rather than just being bits of mythology that have been mashed together.

Does anyone have any ideas, opinions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In my dojo, the heians are based on the elements. Earth, Water, Fire, and Air in order from Heian 1 to Heian 4. Heian Godan is referred to as the void kata.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

If you wanted to keep with the earth, fire, wind, and water theme, why don't you try a torch, a flag or weathervein, a glass or basin of water, and some potted plant for soil on the top of each pillar? This is just a suggestion.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

it may cost a little more but how about having a slab of stone engraved with the japanese/chinese symbols for the 4 elements. (can be seen in many places: book of 5 rings) and placed; facing inwards to the center on the pillars?

you may freely give up your life, but never lose your honour

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the replies; i eventually found a labelled diagram of the think on the korean flag in a feng shui book, there's some duplications like water and lake, but i'll figure something out.